PDA

View Full Version : Gift-giving etiquette

Singer
11-15-2007, 07:14 AM
Hi all -- my next follow-up appointment with Dr. Boachie is in December, and I'm planning on giving him a donation toward his FOCOS foundation. I'm wondering about other people on his staff who have been helpful to me, especially his nurse, who I've e-mailed a thousand times with questions.

Have you given thank you notes and/or gifts to your surgeons and/or surgeons' staffs? I'm somewhat clueless when it comes to this kind of thing and wondered what the rest of you had done along these lines.

Thanks!

Snoopy
11-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Chris,

I know exactly how you feel! The surgeon and his staff were always very helpful before, during and after my daughter's surgery. I felt weird about only giving a gift to certain people so what I did was give thank you cards, in private if possible so you don't make others feel bad, and then I usually took cookies, candy, or fruit to her follow up visits as a way of saying thank you without excluding anyone.

The only time I gave a gift directly to her doctor was when he left our area to go to another state. In your case, I'd suggest giving Dr. Boachie a thank you card along with your donation to FOCOS. I'm sure he'd be happier about the donation than a personal gift.

Mary Lou

crepehanger
11-15-2007, 03:57 PM
I wrote detailed thank you letters addressed to the respective supervisors in charge of the hospital, rehab, and the staff and doctors at the doctor's office. I also wrote letters of commendation about the hotel staff that took care of my family, and the customer service reps at Blue Cross/Blue Shield. We have discussed a large platter of cookies for each of their offices at Christmas, but I do not think I can afford to do this after all, and I am scrambling to think of other ideas to recognize them. I sure understand the need to thank good people for jobs well done. I could use the ideas, too... thanks for bringing it up!

Jacque's Mom
11-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Chris, I think giving Dr. Boachie a donation is certainly the way to go. What I did recently... My pain management doctor and office staff is so incredible that when I went for a visit last month (they took me last minute as I was really hurting and had to get on a plane the next day), I went to the bakery in the morning and brought fresh pastries as a way of thanking them for always being so helpful, etc. They were very grateful. Lynn

Suzy
11-15-2007, 06:02 PM
I called the office on my way in to a check up appointment and took every ones order for Starbucks. They loved it!

Karen Ocker
11-15-2007, 06:21 PM
I presented Dr. Boachie with a home made Christmas stollen and he was thrilled.

geo
11-15-2007, 08:11 PM
I think Suzy's idea is so great! Since I'm a mocha girl, it just seems like something everyone would love :)

I had such a wonderful experience with Dr. Wagner at U. of Washington in Seattle, and his entire staff, so I sent them a "tower of treats" from Harry and David. I thought all those health care professionals might enjoy some healthy fruit treats along with the baklava!

I also sent a super mushy thank you card, written while I was still on oxycodone if that tells you anything, addressed to Dr. Wagner and staff. Three weeks later, I received a card personally written AND addressed by Dr. Wagner, thanking me for the treats and wishing me well.

Singer
11-16-2007, 07:21 AM
What great ideas! Thank you so much. Keep them coming!!!

Karen, what the heck is a "stollen" ???????

lelc2002@yahoo
11-16-2007, 10:11 AM
I believe it's a cake-german-right Karen??
LY- :)

nzgirl
11-20-2007, 12:28 AM
When I was nursing, the best gifts where thank-you cards that mentioned people specifically, and then a communal present like cookies, chocolate, etc.. donations would be really good too because we always were needing equipment.