getting a brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting a brace

I'm 11 yrs. old and I'm getting a boston brace. I was wondering if some one could give me any info on wearing a brace or anything that i should expect.

Thanks,
    smoothie305

Hi Smoothie:

Can't offer much advice on the Boston brace - my daughter wears the Spinecor. Hope everything goes well for you with your brace.

How big are your curve(s)?

Have you heard of the website SPINEKIDS - there are lots of kids on there wearing Boston braces and tons of advice........

Ruth
    Last edited by rtremb; 11-14-2007, 11:41 PM.
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

My curves are 16* on the top of my back and 25* on the middle/lower part of my back. It's in an S shape right now. Thanks for telling me about spinekids. But would you reccomend spinecor? Because we're thinking about maybe getting a spinecor instead of the boston brace.

Thanks,
      smoothie305

Comment

Smothie:
        The Spinecor seems to work really really well for curves your size and I think it is much easier to wear than the Boston brace.
        My daughter had hard night braces but they were so uncomfortable she never really wore them. Now she has the Spinecor and is finding it much easier to wear. Also people don't know you have the Spinecor brace on because it fits under clothing really discretely.
        A lot of people on here go to see Dr. Rivard and Dr. Colliard in Montreal, Quebec, Canada to get the brace because they invented it but it is widely available in the U.S./worldwide now too.
        Have you and your Mum/Dad looked at the Spinecor website. There is lots of information on the website about how effective the Spinecor is so you can decide if you think it would be right for you.
        Stay in touch and let us all know what you decide.
        Ruth
        Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Hi

Hi-
          I am an 11 year old boy with a back brace. You will have to move up a size or 2 in pants. Are you getting a logo or picture on your brace? I have the boston bruins.

At first the brace is uncomfortable but you do get used to it. The easiest part for me was sleeping in it – surprisingly! Also, at first you don’t wear it really really tight. I’ve had my brace for 3 months, and I still don’t strap it as tight as it can go, because it is too constricting. I wear it for about 20 hours a day, but I am supposed to wear it 23, but that is hard to do. I usually take a break at dinner/evening plus sports. Do you play sports? I play hockey and lacrosse.

I don’t like the back brace, and I would have to wear it until I am at least 19. At first the surgeries sound scary but I am going to get one this December. I have talked to a little boy at Shriners Hospital who has got the procedure done and said it did not hurt at all. I will be getting my surgery next month. Have you ever heard of VBS Vertebral Back Stapling. I am going to be the first person ever to have vbs in Massachusetts. If you don’t like your back brace you should find out if vbs would work for you. What state are you in?
          Good luck.
          -Nate
          Cara, Mom to Nathan
          Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
          Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
          VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
          Dr. Hresko
          40 Degrees before VBS
          11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

Smoothie:
            My son is 12 and he wore a Boston brace for 6 months starting at age 11; now he has a Spinecor. He also had to have pants a size or two larger to go over his Boston; with a Spinecor he can still wear some of his original size pants. At first he was very uncomfortable in his hard brace, but he did get used to it, although he never liked it (he doesn't exactly love the Spinecor, either, but it is more comfortable and easier to wear for long periods). Within two weeks he was wearing the Boston brace for 18 hours a day.

If you can, you may want to investigate getting the Spinecor.

Nate:
            Congratulations--you are making history by being the first person in Massachusetts to have VBS! I hope you will keep us posted and let us know what it is like for you.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Thanks for all of your advice. I really appreciate it. And to answer nate03 I live in Pennsylvania and I play basketball. Good luck with your surgery!

-smoothie305

Comment

Working...
              X