Pronation & Soliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pronation & Soliosis

Our daughter's Structural Integration therapist told us our daughter is a Pronator - she does not walk straight. We are getting some special shoe inserts called Superfeet (http://www.superfeet.com) which together with the SI therapy will help to correct this. She recommended special running shoes for Pronators too but I know my daughter won't wear these so I don't think we will buy them.

My husband found a link to a doctor's website which examines whether there is a connection between pronation & scoliosis:

http://thefootblog.org/2006/10/08/as...oracic-curves/

http://rothbartsfoot.info/CorrectionScoliosis.html

Thought people on the forum might find this interesting.

Ruth
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Hi Ruth : Yes , there is a connection between pronator feet and scoliosis . Usulally if there is thre curvers the pronator foot matches the thocaric concave spine . It the there are four curves , then both feet tend to go pronated .
    Please go to www.scoliosistreatment-schroth.com .
    It is important that you daughter learns activily how to strenghten both arches

Comment

I agree, there is a connection with pronation and scoliosis. However, I think it's worth keeping in mind that it isn't always the cause of scoliosis (or partial at the least), but can be a functional response of a scoliosis. In other words, the pattern described is not always present... You may also see a pronation on the high side (pelvis) which often reflects the bodies attempt to functionally lower that leg/side of the pelvis towards a more level position. Conversely, you may also see a supination of the foot on the low side in an attempt to lift that side higher.

Bottom line is: 1) The legs/feet are very important in scoliotic patterns. 2) Supination is equally as relevant as pronation. 3) Sometimes the aberrant positioning of the foot is of primary origin (it contributed to the initial problem) and sometimes it's a secondary compensatory effect as the body tries to 'manage' the situation. Knowing which is the case is very important in regards to intervention strategies and plans for treatment. Placing a lift in a pronated foot that is merely trying to compensate is a bad idea and will make it worse potentially if other factors in the pelvis and spine are not addressed and adaptable first.

Another point worth mentioning is that pronation can occur for other reasons altogether... one being inadequate core support in the feet/legs/up into the pelvis and anterior lumbar spine... Very common with scoliosis, either unilaterally or bilaterally... .

Thanks for the post Ruth... Maybe this will help shed some light and awareness on the fact that scoliosis is a body-wide condition, not only a lateral deviation of the spine.

Structural

p.s.- Try picking up marbles or pencils with your toes to help strengthen the medial arch. But before strength can enter into the equation there needs to be restoration and opening of proper biomechanics and alignment... i.e. - Proper function must preceed strength exercises, otherwise it's a long uphill battle.

Comment

Structural:

Do you think it is okay that Esme wears the SuperFeet inserts as recommended by her SI therapist? She is now wearing them in her new shoes - we had to buy new bigger shoes to get the inserts and her foot in the shoe. I believe she is pronating with both feet - she walks like a duck like her father!!

We are trying to be really careful not to do harm but only "good stuff".

Ruth
        Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Ruth,
          Yes, I'm sure you're not doing harm.... I'm sorry if I came off sounding as if I were suggesting you were. I just wanted to point out a few things because sometimes people get the idea that an observation of a few applies to all. So I was just making light of the complexities behind the pronation issues.

It sounds to me that your SI practitioner knows well what she is doing... . It also sounds as though she is using it as an aid to help encourage what your practitioner is aiming to accomplish via the work.

Sorry for any misunderstandings.

structural

p.s. - When you say "walk like a duck", do you mean both feet pointing outward (externally rotated)? That in and of itself will often cause a pronation (Having externally rotated femurs).

Also, how does she feel overall since wearing them? Any aches/pains/discomforts out of the norm throughout any part of her body? Those are things to take note of and share at your next appointment.

Comment

Structural:

We are feeling really good about Esme's SI therapist, Miranda's treatments. She is very calming and very professional. We took photos before the treatments started and these will be compared to photos as treatment progresses.

When I say "walks like a duck" I mean both feet are pointed outwards at about a 45 degree angle - strangely enough I had never noticed this even though I had noticed her Dad does the same. Miranda said children copy their parents and this is why Esme is doing this. Miranda said she will be working on Esme's feet next Tuesday.

I don't know if this is relevant or not but Esme has always had very tight thigh muscles.

It has taken us a while to actually get the Superfeet inserts and find shoes that go with them so Esme has only been wearing them a couple of days. It says in the book about the inserts not to wear them too much at first or your legs might be sore. Esme is wearing them half of the day at school right now. No aches and pains yet - in fact, she seems to like the inserts so far. Unfortunately she has always walked around barefoot at home (or in socks, never shoes) so she is still walking around a lot without the inserts!! She is the barefoot in the garden type, up a tree with a book or playing with frogs. It is hard with kids to get them to change things all at once and she is still getting used to her Spinecor brace. We will have to work on encouraging her to wear her shoes in the house more.

Ruth

Comment

Working...
            X