Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicole's 2-month appt.

Hi All,

Just came from CHOP. Dr. Dormans said Nicole looks great. Very even in her shoulders and waist. Curves are probably in the low 20's and should stay there. Wants her to start moving around a little more, but no dance or sports yet. Is a little over 5'6" and a half. They believe her risser is at a 5. Has had her period for over 18 months. Thinks she is done growing. Strange because Rivard said in May she was at a 0. Either way, she needed the surgery because she was at a 60 and totally twisted.

When did your kids start bending more? Lifting more?

He said she doesn't have to wear the brace.

Will send a picture of Nicole and Dr. Dormans together later in week. We go back in 4 months.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Very glad to hear things are going so well, Melissa, and how wonderful she doesn't have to wear a brace!

Mary Ellen

Comment

Melissa:

Glad to hear the appointment went well. Must be a relief to be on the other side of the operation now. Good Nicole doesn't have to wear a brace anymore.

Now I am wondering how quickly children go from Risser 0 to Risser 4/5.

Looking forward to seeing the new photos.

Ruth
      Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

A Mom on here told me her child went from 0 to 5 in a matter of months. Dr. Rivard didn't believe me when I told him. It has been such a puzzle with Nicole because she has had her period for 19 months, is fully grown and developed and everyone was saying that she was still a 0. I knew she had to be almost done growing. Dr. Dormans' assistant thought she was at a 5. Then he said she was at a 0. This was in June. Now we are being told she is at a 5. Not sure if there was a mistake somewhere. But it doesn't matter. Dr. Rivard was right when he said she needed surgery. She was at a 52 in May and a 60 in Sept. If she didn't have surgery she would progress at least a degree a year. Even if she was at a 5, she would probably be in the 70's when she was a young adult. Most of the adults who come on here are proof of that.

I am just looking forward to March 14. Our 6 month appt and the day before we fly to Florida. One of the orthos we saw today told us he expects her to be fused by then. That is when they will most likely give the okay for biking, swimming and dancing. I can't wait.
        Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Melissa, What a a fantastic correction! I hope Nicole is thrilled and that the fusion is rock solid by your vacation. Lord knows you all deserve a little R&R! Do you think she will be able to dance again when enough time has passed?

Jill
          daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
          -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
          -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
          -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Hi Melissa,

I am so thrilled to hear that Nicole's curves are in the 20's. Great news!! I hope the next four months go by quickly and uneventfully for you. Get to that Florida sun fast!!

Best,
            Stephanie
            Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
            10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
            07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
            12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
            2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
            3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

Hi Melissa,
              Thank you so much for sharing your story. You have been so kind to help so many on this forum. I am happy for your very good news!
              Sincerely,
              Dorie

Comment

That's great! After all of the stress and everything involved, isn't it just wonderful to see them so nice and straight? I did think it unusual that they still said she was risser 0 when she'd had her period for so long, but there are other things they gauge that on. My daughter did not have her period before the surgery (she got it for the first time on day 6 after). I haven't asked him since her surgery what risser she was now, we go back on Nov 26. We're still waiting and praying for the lumbar curve to continue to correct itself, some days it looks perfect, today I noticed it looked crooked again.

And 5'6 1/2 is a good height to be - my daughter is 5'5" now, but, I think she has some growing left. She was released for mild swimming at her last appointment (no diving), that must have been at 4 weeks. She's been on the swim team in the past, and it was starting right about the time she was released back to school. I had hoped she could practice some with them, then we decided that was pushing her too much, that she should just focus on getting back to school, so, she has to wait till next year for that. I guess every doctor is different in their restrictions. She was told still no bending or twisting and no sports.

I hope Nicole's recovery continues to go well! Those 4 months will fly by.

Comment

Melissa, So pleased to hear that Nicole is doing well. It really helps those of us a couple of years behind to understand that it's not the end of the world.

How is Nicole coping with not dancing? Does she still see her friends (and what does she do with all that extra time?!!)

We're in the middle of silly season here! Imogen is in a production of Oliver! which opens on Friday & runs for 10 days. Then another week of rehearsals & 4 day run of this year's dance show. I'm exhausted just watching! And I can't imagine how she'll feel when she can't be part of it.
                  UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                  10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
                  Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your support. I think if Nicole had been in elementary school with a lot less work, she would really miss dance more and have a lot more free time. But even last year when she started middle school, she was starting with all the stress of the work and her hectic dance schedule. She has so much work now that she doesn't have a lot of down time during the week. It is harder on the weekends when her friends are at the studio for 4 hours on a saturday. I am surprised that she really has not expressed a lot of sadness and upset over it. She makes comments from time to time, but I do believe she is just so thrilled to be done with the surgery and feeling so lousy, that she is just enjoying being a normal kid.

I expect she can go back to tap in March without twisting or major bending. It will be too late for competition or recital, but just for fun.

Next year she starts high school and I expect will continue with her involvement with choir and plays. In a year she will start to see her flexibility limitations and I don't know how she will handle that.

Can anyone help me understand what is normal bending? Our surgeon was so vague that she can start moving her body more including light bending. I was begging for specifics and still can't put my finger on what would be considered safe at this point.
                    Melissa

Comment

Melissa,

So glad things are back to normal. Here's to new beginnings!

Canadian eh
                      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Melissa,
                        I am so happy for you and Nicole! It is heart warming and encouraging for you to have made it this far this fast! I am not surprised at your progress!
                        That's fantastic!
                        Hugs!
                        Cheryl
                        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Woohoo for Nicole. Didn't expect any other results from the visit. She's doing fabulous and having a great recovery.

About bending... bending in extremes is what they are probably referring to. Bending over to pick something off the floor, if she uses her knees to bend with, is probably okay. Bending around a corner and really stretching to pick something up is probably not okay. Anything that causes any force along the spine - pulling or twisting or whatever of the muscles and tissue along the spine. Most of the restriction is common sense. If you have to exert too much effort, it probably shouldn't be done. Bending is probably the least important restriction - lifting and twisting probably do more harm than 'just' bending.

I know that was confusing, but try to think in simple terms. Common sense rules. She's doing great, and you are too. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to Florida in the spring! Woohoo!
                          Carmell
                          mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thank you Carmell. Nicole is walking around stiff as a board. I told her she should try to loosen up a bit. Bend down a bit to look down at her book, for example. It seems that is what she was told to do. She looks very unnatural when she is walking and sitting. If she was told she can start bending a little, then I would like her to do that.

Most of the doctors say at this stage you can lift up to 15 lbs. Dr. Dormans said up to 25. I would rather her be conservative.
                            Melissa

Comment

Great to hear she's still doing well, I hope Sheena will be there in a few months. It seems like the kids with the long fusions have problems with their new posture. I'll be really glad if Sheena's head doesn't tilt to the side anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X