Surgery date changed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery date changed

Dr. Boachie's nurse just called to tell me he had a death in the family and will be in Ghana when I was scheduled (Dec. 4). My choices now are moving it up to Nov. 23 or postponing it to Dec. 24. I have to decide soon which date to choose. I still have all kinds of getting-ready stuff to do, which seems the Nov. date would be problematic; on the other hand, waiting another 3 weeks to Dec. 24 feels like an eternity.

Also, I was successful in donating my 1st unit of blood 2 days ago, so now that will not be usable for a Dec. 24 surgery.

Right now I am too numb to even be sad.
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

my thought is....go for it. The sooner the better, no?
    48 yr old female. 80° thoracolumber curve. Surgery Feb 14 2007. Fused T3 - L5. Correction to 23°. Happy!

Comment

Janet--I had a similar situation and had to pick between a week sooner or waiting 2 weeks. It was rushed for me, but I went with sooner. I also had a month's notice, which you don't. If it's possible, I'd go for sooner. You've built all your plans toward the 4th and waiting three weeks longer does seem really long. And right at Christmas. I'll be praying for your decision.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Pick the earlier date. Same thing happened to me for my first surgery. It was moved from late January to mid-December which at that time was only two weeks later. Looking back on it, it was a good move. You will be surprised how much work you will get done knowing the date is sooner than anticipated. And when you are laying around recovering, you will be glad that it is behind you too! Good luck. Krysi

Comment

I would go with the sooner date, I had the same thing happen when I had the cervical fusion and the waiting is the worst part. I had mine scheduled for right after easter so I would be with my kids on easter and when they called I was devestated, I was told I could have it done good Friday or wait till May. I chose Good Friday.
          Patty 51 years old
          Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
          Posterior T3- L4
          Pre surgery curves
          T-53degrees
          L-38degrees
          and a severe side shift to the right.
          Post surgery curves
          Less than 10 degrees
          Surgery April, 2006
          C4 - C6

Comment

Hi Janet. Sorry to hear about the surgery delay. I would go for the earlier date...for two reasons: 1. you've already donated blood you can use
            2. you get it overwith!
            The anticipation of the surgery can be stressful, and this way, you will be so busy getting ready, you won't have as much time to worry about it...
            Let us know what you choose...
            Heather
            Heather
            Surgery date: April 20, 2004
            Anterior/posterior surgery
            Fused T-11 to L-5
            Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
            Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
            Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
            Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Hi Janet,

Sorry to hear about your date for surgery. My advice to you is go with the earlier date. We might be roomies (that is as long as my date Nov 27 is not cancelled or changed) and although I was hoping for a private room with a view of the river Prolonging it will be torture and by the time Dec 24 rolls around, you'll already have a month of recovery behind you. Not to mention it might be depressing around the holidays in the hospital.

I went for some pre-op testing yesterday in Manhattan and as overwhelming as it all is, I just want the surgery over with at this point. We will get through this and be on the road to recovery sooner, than later.

Good Luck,

Kerri

A/P surgery T8- sacrum (?) with Dr. Boachie Nov 27, 2007

Comment

Janet,
                If it were me, I would choose the earlier date if it is still available. I wouldn't worry too much about stuff that won't get done around the house-it might be tough to wait another month!
                Cathie

Comment

Janet- Go with the earlier date, you will be in better shape by Christmas and might get to enjoy it more....best wishes.. Lisa
                  Lisa age 47
                  T curve 69 degrees
                  L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                  fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                  anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                  pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I am less stressed than I was yesterday (before I spoke with Lindy, I had gone to an appointment for a full-body bone-density scan, but after waiting an hour, I learned that the facility only does the "osteoporosis scan" of only the lower back, pelvis and thighs, and the other possible site also did only the same type; Lindy will set me up to have it done at HSS).

I treasure your suggestions about being post-op in time to enjoy Christmas. However, I don't celebrate Christmas so I don't have any emotional ties to the holiday.

I've decided to go with the Dec. 24 date because otherwise I would have only about 10 days to get ready to fly to NYC for the pre-ops. I wasn't real clear on what getting ready means: I am in the middle of having new windows installed in half my house, and I'm re-doing my bedroom to add wall insulation, new electrical, new sheetrock, paint, etc. These all are necessary for me to have a snug cozy place in which to recover. All will have been done in time for Dec 4, but certainly not if I moved up the date 12 days, and I did not want to return to a room with broken walls and plaster dust everywhere. At least now I will have time to shop for new light fixtures, bedding, curtains and decorations (as well as the requisite large-screen TV!) (lemonade thinking!) - I fully intend to indulge and spoil myself while I recover.

Blessings on all of you for your kindnesses.
                    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Janet,
                      Way to go making those renovations before surgery rather than after! My family decided to remodel our backyard immediatly (within a month) after my last surgery, so while I was at home sleeping, I got to hear jackhammers and other loud noises right outside my window. I know it doesn't compare to all the work that will be done inside your house, but at least it will all be done BEFORE surgery.
                      Hope you enjoy the improvements, and the large TV!

Comment

Janet, I really think that's a sound decision. Dec. 24th will be here before you know it. Also -- I would imagine that there may not be a lot of patients having elective surgery at Christmastime -- you may end up having the room to yourself!!
                        Chris
                        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Janet--It does sound like you have it all figured out for the best possible recovery--and that you will need the time to get it all done. I hope you can relax a little and enjoy the extra time you hadn't planned on having! And have fun shopping for those new things!
                          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

An update: the blood I donated 2 weeks ago has been shipped to HSS and will be frozen (it would otherwise expire before my new surgery date), to be used if needed (they charge $0 to freeze but ~ $500 to thaw ).

Today I attempted to donate but my hemo. was 10.9 and this bank requires 11.2 minimum. The nurse keeps telling me I am unrealistic if I think I can donate even 2 more units, because it takes 2 - 3 weeks to restore to pre-donation levels. So it looks like I will be using bank blood. Now I am OK with that, but I will try next week and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                            X