PDA

View Full Version : Surgery date changed



Janet
11-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Dr. Boachie's nurse just called to tell me he had a death in the family and will be in Ghana when I was scheduled (Dec. 4). My choices now are moving it up to Nov. 23 or postponing it to Dec. 24. I have to decide soon which date to choose. I still have all kinds of getting-ready stuff to do, which seems the Nov. date would be problematic; on the other hand, waiting another 3 weeks to Dec. 24 feels like an eternity.

Also, I was successful in donating my 1st unit of blood 2 days ago, so now that will not be usable for a Dec. 24 surgery.

Right now I am too numb to even be sad.

mouna
11-09-2007, 03:34 PM
my thought is....go for it. The sooner the better, no?

Susie*Bee
11-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Janet--I had a similar situation and had to pick between a week sooner or waiting 2 weeks. It was rushed for me, but I went with sooner. I also had a month's notice, which you don't. If it's possible, I'd go for sooner. You've built all your plans toward the 4th and waiting three weeks longer does seem really long. And right at Christmas. I'll be praying for your decision.

dalmatica
11-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Pick the earlier date. Same thing happened to me for my first surgery. It was moved from late January to mid-December which at that time was only two weeks later. Looking back on it, it was a good move. You will be surprised how much work you will get done knowing the date is sooner than anticipated. And when you are laying around recovering, you will be glad that it is behind you too! Good luck. Krysi

sccrm08
11-10-2007, 11:14 AM
I would go with the sooner date, I had the same thing happen when I had the cervical fusion and the waiting is the worst part. I had mine scheduled for right after easter so I would be with my kids on easter and when they called I was devestated, I was told I could have it done good Friday or wait till May. I chose Good Friday.

Heathmoose
11-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi Janet. Sorry to hear about the surgery delay. I would go for the earlier date...for two reasons: 1. you've already donated blood you can use
2. you get it overwith!
The anticipation of the surgery can be stressful, and this way, you will be so busy getting ready, you won't have as much time to worry about it...
Let us know what you choose...
Heather

kerrik
11-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Hi Janet,

Sorry to hear about your date for surgery. My advice to you is go with the earlier date. We might be roomies (that is as long as my date Nov 27 is not cancelled or changed) and although I was hoping for a private room with a view of the river :rolleyes: Prolonging it will be torture and by the time Dec 24 rolls around, you'll already have a month of recovery behind you. Not to mention it might be depressing around the holidays in the hospital.

I went for some pre-op testing yesterday in Manhattan and as overwhelming as it all is, I just want the surgery over with at this point. We will get through this and be on the road to recovery sooner, than later.

Good Luck,

Kerri

A/P surgery T8- sacrum (?) with Dr. Boachie Nov 27, 2007

bsprings
11-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Janet,
If it were me, I would choose the earlier date if it is still available. I wouldn't worry too much about stuff that won't get done around the house-it might be tough to wait another month!
Cathie

crepehanger
11-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Janet- Go with the earlier date, you will be in better shape by Christmas and might get to enjoy it more....best wishes.. Lisa

Janet
11-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I am less stressed than I was yesterday (before I spoke with Lindy, I had gone to an appointment for a full-body bone-density scan, but after waiting an hour, I learned that the facility only does the "osteoporosis scan" of only the lower back, pelvis and thighs, and the other possible site also did only the same type; Lindy will set me up to have it done at HSS).

I treasure your suggestions about being post-op in time to enjoy Christmas. However, I don't celebrate Christmas so I don't have any emotional ties to the holiday.

I've decided to go with the Dec. 24 date because otherwise I would have only about 10 days to get ready to fly to NYC for the pre-ops. I wasn't real clear on what getting ready means: I am in the middle of having new windows installed in half my house, and I'm re-doing my bedroom to add wall insulation, new electrical, new sheetrock, paint, etc. These all are necessary for me to have a snug cozy place in which to recover. All will have been done in time for Dec 4, but certainly not if I moved up the date 12 days, and I did not want to return to a room with broken walls and plaster dust everywhere. At least now I will have time to shop for new light fixtures, bedding, curtains and decorations (as well as the requisite large-screen TV!) (lemonade thinking!) - I fully intend to indulge and spoil myself while I recover.

Blessings on all of you for your kindnesses.

CurvySAT05
11-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Janet,
Way to go making those renovations before surgery rather than after! My family decided to remodel our backyard immediatly (within a month) after my last surgery, so while I was at home sleeping, I got to hear jackhammers and other loud noises right outside my window. I know it doesn't compare to all the work that will be done inside your house, but at least it will all be done BEFORE surgery.
Hope you enjoy the improvements, and the large TV!

Singer
11-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Janet, I really think that's a sound decision. Dec. 24th will be here before you know it. Also -- I would imagine that there may not be a lot of patients having elective surgery at Christmastime -- you may end up having the room to yourself!!

Susie*Bee
11-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Janet--It does sound like you have it all figured out for the best possible recovery--and that you will need the time to get it all done. I hope you can relax a little and enjoy the extra time you hadn't planned on having! And have fun shopping for those new things! :)

Janet
11-21-2007, 07:40 PM
An update: the blood I donated 2 weeks ago has been shipped to HSS and will be frozen (it would otherwise expire before my new surgery date), to be used if needed (they charge $0 to freeze but ~ $500 to thaw :eek: ).

Today I attempted to donate but my hemo. was 10.9 and this bank requires 11.2 minimum. The nurse keeps telling me I am unrealistic if I think I can donate even 2 more units, because it takes 2 - 3 weeks to restore to pre-donation levels. So it looks like I will be using bank blood. Now I am OK with that, but I will try next week and see what happens.