So Disappointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Disappointed

Went in for my 6 week post op check and the first thing I wanted to ask about was what we can do about me feeling like my right leg is shorter than the left. I didn't have to convince him as in the Xrays I had done yesterday it is very obvious.
    He said for now since I had a hard time in surgery and post op we will just get a shoe lift but will probably have to go back in at 8-9 months and take a wedge out and replace the rods.
    I was very upset. That would mean I would be off work for nearly 2 years. I was thinking it might be better to go in as soon as I feel strong enough and get it over with. I have to go back to see him at the end of Dec.
    Was just wondering what other people thought.
    Thanks
    CarolS
    68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
    Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
    Osteotomy March 20,2008
    Thrilled with results!

Hugs

Dear Carol-- I am heartsick for you. That would be such discouraging news. But with your positive attitude (get it done with!) I am sure you will be able to handle this setback. If you go to my latest thread--I think it's "Going back to work???-- or something like that, the most recent post was from a scoli sis who has had that done twice now and was able to return to work fairly quickly. Of course, I'm thinking maybe she's a Superwoman! (Or is it that I'm a wimp???) You might check with her. Best wishes!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Carol - I cannot offer you any advice, but I do feel so sad for you. I am so sorry that you are facing this new challenge. My suggestion is to give yourself ample time to process the information you received yesterday, before deciding what to do.

Wishing you the best.

Hugs, Janet
      As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

This is so hard. You've seen yr doc so he knows best. Just to say that I had the IMPRESSION of one leg shorter, and I definitely did have a shoulder imbalance, and a hip a little bit off in the early period. It's all working itself out in recovery. My doc was not so concerned in the early days (and for you it's still very early days). I'm now at 8-9 mths post op and those issues are not issues anymore. I hope it works out the same for you....
        48 yr old female. 80° thoracolumber curve. Surgery Feb 14 2007. Fused T3 - L5. Correction to 23°. Happy!

Comment

Working...
        X