In recovery? Get your flu shot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In recovery? Get your flu shot!

I didn't and I got the flu. Just over a month post-op. Imagine the hell. All the getting up and down, and unable to hold down pain meds. It's the last thing you need.

Get that shot!
    Age 33
    40 degree diagnosed 1993; 70ish degree 2007
    Fusion to T9 to L5 October 3, 2007 with Dr. Kurt Von Rueden
    Corrected to 8 degrees

On my list!

Shegiles,

Funny you should post that - I'm going to get mine at 4:30 today.... I'm about 3 weeks preop and i dont want to risk it!!!
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Just got mine yesterday! Thanks for the post. We all don't need anything else to deal with.

Best,
      Anya
      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

What an awful time to get the flu, Shegiles! Thanks for the reminder- Also, stock up on Airborne.....
        Lisa age 47
        T curve 69 degrees
        L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
        fused to from T-3 to sacrum
        anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
        pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

My PCP told me, a week ago, to forget about getting a flu shot now. But I'll ask if it is OK post-op.

I'm seriously thinking about wearing a face mask on my flights into & out of NY - 5 hours each is a lot of time for someone else's bug to recirculate thru the air conditiong. My 26-y/o son will be mortified, no doubt, but it's OK with me if he pretends he doesn't know me

Time is really flying by
          As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

flu shot

I got mine today. I was debating whether or not to get one since I wouldn't be at work and exposed to bugs, but after reading your post I am very glad I did.
            Thanks for posting this but so sorry you had to suffer!
            CarolS
            68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
            Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
            Osteotomy March 20,2008
            Thrilled with results!

Comment

Janet, Why did your PCP say not to get one? I was told it was okay to do as long as it was 2 weeks prior to surgery...
              2000 34*L/39*T
              2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
              (initially planned T4-L1)
              12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

?

I could be wrong of course (!) but I was under the impression that flu shots do not have anything to do with the "stomach flu" bugs that go around causing vomiting and diarrhea, etc. I think they are to prevent or reduce our illness from the current strain of influenza, which lasts much longer, gives us high fevers, chills, muscle aches, and respiratory problems (bronchitis, pneumonia). That kind of flu can last up to two weeks and really wreak havoc. Neither kind of flu would be welcome for those of us recovering from surgery! Good luck!
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Janet,

Call Dr. B's office and speak with Lindy. I called last month and got a flu shot about four weeks pre-op. There still may be time for you.

Kerri

a/p surgery 11-27-07 T8 (?) to sacrum (?) with dr. boachie, hss

Comment

With my surgery date now postponed to 12/24, I do have time to get the flu shot, and will do so ASAP. I had not been told anything about it previously, and I only was reminded about it by the comments on this thread. Once again, where would I be without this forum?
                    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

I had my surgery during the year of the flu shot shortage. I normally get one every year, but skipped it that Fall due to the shortage. Well, 2.5 wks before my surgery when I had my pre-op admissions testing done, I was told that I HAD to get one. The dr's and nurses said that they did not recommend anyone going into a hospital without the flu shot. You need 2 weeks for it to fully take affect so I got mine the next morning.

Comment

Working...
                      X