PDA

View Full Version : In recovery? Get your flu shot!

shegiles
11-08-2007, 09:21 AM
I didn't and I got the flu. Just over a month post-op. Imagine the hell. All the getting up and down, and unable to hold down pain meds. It's the last thing you need.

Get that shot!

vndy
11-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Shegiles,

Funny you should post that - I'm going to get mine at 4:30 today.... I'm about 3 weeks preop and i dont want to risk it!!!

abhbarry
11-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Just got mine yesterday! Thanks for the post. We all don't need anything else to deal with.

Best,
Anya

crepehanger
11-08-2007, 03:35 PM
What an awful time to get the flu, Shegiles! Thanks for the reminder- Also, stock up on Airborne.....

Janet
11-08-2007, 05:12 PM
My PCP told me, a week ago, to forget about getting a flu shot now. But I'll ask if it is OK post-op.

I'm seriously thinking about wearing a face mask on my flights into & out of NY - 5 hours each is a lot of time for someone else's bug to recirculate thru the air conditiong. My 26-y/o son will be mortified, no doubt, but it's OK with me if he pretends he doesn't know me :rolleyes:

Time is really flying by :eek:

CStadler
11-08-2007, 05:20 PM
I got mine today. I was debating whether or not to get one since I wouldn't be at work and exposed to bugs, but after reading your post I am very glad I did.
Thanks for posting this but so sorry you had to suffer!

vndy
11-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Janet, Why did your PCP say not to get one? I was told it was okay to do as long as it was 2 weeks prior to surgery...

Susie*Bee
11-08-2007, 07:03 PM
I could be wrong of course (!) but I was under the impression that flu shots do not have anything to do with the "stomach flu" bugs that go around causing vomiting and diarrhea, etc. I think they are to prevent or reduce our illness from the current strain of influenza, which lasts much longer, gives us high fevers, chills, muscle aches, and respiratory problems (bronchitis, pneumonia). That kind of flu can last up to two weeks and really wreak havoc. Neither kind of flu would be welcome for those of us recovering from surgery! Good luck!

kerrik
11-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Janet,

Call Dr. B's office and speak with Lindy. I called last month and got a flu shot about four weeks pre-op. There still may be time for you.

Kerri

a/p surgery 11-27-07 :eek: T8 (?) to sacrum (?) with dr. boachie, hss

Janet
11-10-2007, 10:27 PM
With my surgery date now postponed to 12/24, I do have time to get the flu shot, and will do so ASAP. I had not been told anything about it previously, and I only was reminded about it by the comments on this thread. Once again, where would I be without this forum? :)

HGD24
11-13-2007, 12:36 PM
I had my surgery during the year of the flu shot shortage. I normally get one every year, but skipped it that Fall due to the shortage. Well, 2.5 wks before my surgery when I had my pre-op admissions testing done, I was told that I HAD to get one. The dr's and nurses said that they did not recommend anyone going into a hospital without the flu shot. You need 2 weeks for it to fully take affect so I got mine the next morning.