Suggestions to reduce Scars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions to reduce Scars

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to reduce the brightness of scars. I am not concerned about my spine or anterior scaring but during surgery some monitoring leads were under my face and after 11 hours of pressing into my face it must have broken through the skin. I have 3 prominent scars now and have tried an oil from a health food store but it doesn't appear to be making any difference.

I know aloe vera is suppose to work well but I was wondering if there was anything better. Everyone here always has such great ideas I thought I would ask.

Thanks, Carol
    CarolS
    68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
    Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
    Osteotomy March 20,2008
    Thrilled with results!

Not sure where you live, but here in Australia we have Bio Oil which i use on my posterior and anterior scars and they have faded to nearly white and its only been 5 1/2 months..... If you can purchase that where you live i highly recommend it.
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

Carol, be sure to use tons of strong sunscreen and/or keep the scars covered up as much as you can for the next year. I was told by a doctor that sun exposure in the first 12 months after the cut/injury makes scars much worse. Good luck
      daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
      -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
      -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
      -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

what the docs gave me..

I had some big quarter-sized abrasions on my cheek and forehead from the friction of being face down during surgery. They brought me Mederma in the rehab (it was a female doctor, bless her heart), which used to be prescription, but now is sold over the counter (probably at Walmart's, CVS, Walgreens, etc..) Here is a website if you're interested. http://www.mederma.com Hope your scars go away, too....Lisa
        Lisa age 47
        T curve 69 degrees
        L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
        fused to from T-3 to sacrum
        anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
        pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Hi Carol,

I swear by Merderma. I used it for about 6 months and my scar is VERY light. I also put SPF 60 on it every time I was outside. I have a friend who had different back surgery 1 week after me who didn't use Mederma or keep his scar out of the sun and his scar is really dark and thick. If I got such great results on my posterior scar the little ones on your face should be no problem. I called the Merderma 800# and had them send me a coupon. Good luck, Suzy

Comment

Thanks

Thanks going to get some Mederma this weekend. You guys are awesome!
            CarolS
            68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
            Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
            Osteotomy March 20,2008
            Thrilled with results!

Comment

Working...
            X