Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 weeks post-op

Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all the positive words and thoughts!
    Tomorrow I will be 3 weeks post-op and I am doing pretty good.
    Almost no swelling was remaining until yesterday, and now I have a rather large lump that will swell up and then later it will go away...and then later return. Its just confusing because my back was almost perfectly flat...
    and then bam...swelling up again. I'm probably just trying to do to much.
    How much should I be doing?????
    Thanks everyone in advance,
    Marie
    MarieMarieMarie

Concerned for you!

Myree-- so glad to hear you are doing so well! But I keep wondering about your swelling. If I were you, I would definitely give your doctor/nurse a call about it, just to put your mind at ease. I would want to rule out a possible infection or other problem that they might need to check on. And at 3 weeks post-op, I would definitely try to take it easy except for walking.

Keep up the positive outlook. Look how far you've come! It takes awhile to recover, so don't expect miracles. I'm still working on it, and it's been 6 months now for me. I look back and see how far I've progressed whenever I feel discouraged about the limitations I still have. That usually helps! I made a scrapbook of my surgery and hospital stay, etc., and when I look at those early pictures I can definitely see how far I've come. Keep us posted on your swelling.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Marie,

I have to agree with Suzy Bee, it's always better to know. I remember worring about every little thing and it drove me nuts. It always turned out to be nothing, but it was nice to know that.

I think you're doing great!!!

Shari

Comment

Don't do anything other than taking care of yourself. I mean the basic necessities of bathing, eating, etc. Other than that, just walk.... Don't try to pick up the house or sweep or cook big meals. If you do too much you will pay for it later on... better to keep it slow and steady like the tortoise who won the race

Comment

Thank you all...
          I know that you are all right, it just feels like it has been 3 months rather than 3 weeks. I'm a "doer" and not doing much of anything is making me nuts! I've also had a terrible chest cold and all that coughing is very painful.
          I'm just gonna have to take it easy and enjoy it...lol
          Marie
          MarieMarieMarie

Comment

Hello Marie- I am surprised you haven't called the doctor already with that bad chest cold. i was still doing the spirometer and breathing exercises for awhile after surgery to prevent pneumonia. Maybe a call Monday morning just to let him know about that and the swelling???? Glad you're doing so well and have such a good attitude.
            Lisa age 47
            T curve 69 degrees
            L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
            fused to from T-3 to sacrum
            anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
            pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Working...
            X