Gettin Back in Shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gettin Back in Shape

Just wanted to see if anyone who is post-op has begun to work out. I am three months post-op and have been dying to start running and working out. I did however start two weeks ago and found it very hard but little by little I have begun to walk - jog - run - and now today i am back sprinting (not fast but for now only what i can do). I ran track all the way up to surgery and am very excited to get going again hopefully in time for next years track team here at Arizona State.

I do have a few questions if anyone has had these same symptoms. When I run, where my rib was removed for the bone marrow for my fusion, I feel it to be very tight and still numb. I have been told this is normal but I just want it to go away! It is the most discomfort i have ever had. Also, i was wondering if anyone has felt discomfort when they wake up and fall asleep. It seems to be the worst part of my day. I feel so much pain in my lower back. Does this ever go away?

Thank you all!
    -Nicole

Hi,

Have you checked with your dr. to see if running/sprinting is ok at 3 mos. post-op? I know everyone is different but I remember my son still being restricted to mainly walking, maybe some biking and light jogging. I just don't want you overdoing it and having a setback down the road.

Renee

Comment

Yikes! I don't think you should be running yet !!!! Your fusion is nowhere near solid yet. Please check with your surgeon.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I was advised NOT to jog so that I do not disturb the hardware. Walking was OK at any time.
        Please, please check with your surgeon.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I was also told no jogging, or going to the gym until the Dr. could see good fusion on the x-rays.
          Patty 51 years old
          Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
          Posterior T3- L4
          Pre surgery curves
          T-53degrees
          L-38degrees
          and a severe side shift to the right.
          Post surgery curves
          Less than 10 degrees
          Surgery April, 2006
          C4 - C6

Comment

I went to my doctors yesterday for my check-up. I was told if I feel up to it then run. He said that I do not have to be restricted to anything and that if my body says its ok then I can. Mainly, it is up to me and what I can do. He said the faster you get back into your daily routines and things that are familiar, the faster you heal. Nothing will be disrupted or disturbed (the rods). My fusion is good and its a good. Thanks for all your advice!

Comment

Working...
            X