vertebral stapling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vertebral stapling

Hi, I am relatively new to this forum and I have some questions about vertebral stapling. My 9 year old has scoliosis. A single c curve at 26 degrees. I was full on going with the spine cor brace and will keep my appointment with the orthopedist for this Monday. But, I can't stop thinking about the vertebral stapling procedure. Anyone reading this have some long term success? Or a non success story? Any thoughts, opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I contacted Shriners @Philly and spoke with someone there. I am waiting to hear back from Janet Cerrone at Shriners. I love the idea of doing the procedure and not having to put my daughter through the difficulties the 6 or 7 years in a brace will bring her. However, it does seem like a significant surgery and recovery. Any insight?? Thanks!!
    Stephanie
    Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
    10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
    07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
    12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
    2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
    3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Hi Stephanie,

The best place to get insight from parents who have been there is on the vertebral stapling support sight - here's the link:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/staplingsupport/

There are about 30 parents - many whose children have gone through the stapling and others who are considering it - I'm sure they can answer many of your questions.

If you have any trouble loggin on, you can always e-mail me.

Good luck!

Maria
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Maria, thanks, I will check out that site. How has your son David progressed since his stapling? How old is he now? Has his curve gotten better or stabilized? I just feel so sick to my stomach trying to decide which option is best for my daughter. It looks like my second daughter may have a curve as well. I wish somebody could magically tell me what the right choice is. I just can't stop thinking that this stapling option really offers the child a more "normal" adolescence. I am just so torn between the spine cor brace and the vertebral stapling. I will consult with both Docs. and see what sits best with me and my husband.
      Stephanie
      3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

Hi Stephanie,

It's funny, David just had a check up today and Dr. Betz was VERY pleased. He is holding at 32 (he was 40 when they stapled him with quite a bit of rotation) - now he is also MUCH less rotated, looks a lot better cosmetically, etc.

Kids with smaller curves and little or no rotation seem to fair even better. It's a tough choice - I would definitely check out the VS Support Site - this way you can get everyone's perspective, not just mine. If you have any trouble loggin on to the site just e-mail me. You may have to receive an invitation first from me or one of the other moderators but that's no problem.

I think the one consensus you will find among the parents is that none of them regret their decision and would do it again. I personally feel that the stapling will prevent CERTAIN kids from needing fusion later on. My son would most likely have - now Dr. Betz feels very optimistic that we can avoid it.

Good luck.
        mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi Maria,

I'm happy that David is doing so well. I have checked out that website for vertebral stapling support. It seems great. Lots of information and very encouraging. I recognize a few names. I will probably want to join and will contact you if I have any difficulty. I have an appointment for a consult on bracing this Monday. Primarily about the spine cor brace. I will keep that appointment. I spoke with Lisa at Dr. Betz's office and will be set up with an appointment for a consult there in the next couple of weeks. Then my husband and I will make the big decision. I feel so blessed that I stumbled onto this forum. It has been so helpful with information and emotion. I don't know why, but it seems easier to get a check on my emotion when I read about others and read the support they are given. I feel like I really need to get on the ball and make a decision. My daughter was first diagnosed in July. Now it's October. Her curve increased from 24 degrees to 26 degrees in two months. I just want to make the right decision!! Thanks for your replys. They are very helpful!!
          Stephanie

Comment

Stephanie,

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but if you have any questions about the procedure, the person to ask (besides Dr. Betz of course!) would be Janet Cerrone. She's the PA who works with Betz and has been involved with the stapling since inception. She's a wealth of knowledge and extremely nice. Lots of times parents speak to her first on the phone to see if their child sounds like a candidate, or to ask certain questions, etc.

Good luck!
            mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Maria,

I am so happy that David had a great appointment. How often do you go?
              Melissa
              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Hi Melissa,

Thanks! We go every 4-6 months. We are now seeing Dr. Betz since D'Andrea left, and he and I both decided we'd just do the 4 months for now. I really don't mind the trip. We went with the Shriners drivers the last two times and it was totally stress-free. I slept a lot

I can't say enough about Dr. Betz - he's so down-to-earth I find it hard to believe he's a surgeon, no less chief of staff!

How's Nicole? I've been following all your posts. Anything new? I assume she's getting better and stronger every day and it sounds like she's looking great too! I'm so glad for your family that this is behind you. You must fell like the weight of the world has been lifted off your shoulders!

Take care,

Maria
                mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi Maria,
                  I am waiting for an e mail from Janet, who is out of the office until Monday the 29th. I have an appointment for November 2nd for a consult with Dr. Ashgar. I have an appointment this Monday with a ped. Ortho out in NY to discuss the spine cor brace. Between these two appointments I guess my husband and I will make a decision. It's moving quickly now and making me a bit nervous. But these decisions do have to be made. Thanks for responding back to me, it means a lot!!
                  Stephanie

Comment

Hi Stepanie,

Remind me again, are you from NY? We live in Queens, NY.

Anway, I was just on the phone with a mom tonight whose daughter had the stapling exactly a week ago with Dr. Ashgar. She's home and doing well. Everyone LOVES Dr. Ashgar (if you check the VS site you'll see this is true). In addition to being a gifted surgeon, he really has a way with the kids. We met him back in January and David and I both loved him.

Not an easy decision you are facing though - good luck and I'm here if you want to chat.

Best,

Maria
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi Maria,

I live in New Jersey now, on the Jersey shore. I lived in Queens for some time when I was in college. I lived in Jamaica, then Flushing.

I have been to the VS support site every day. I think I am waiting until after my consult with Dr. Ashgar next Friday to join. I don't really know why. I have been so scattered this week and not sleeping well. I just keep running down all the different outcomes in my mind. I am actually looking forward to making the decision. At this time, I am leaning towards the stapling. I really want to hear what the doctor out on Long Island is going to say on Monday. Then I will meet with Dr. Ashgar and see what he has to say next Friday. I hope Michela is a candidate. I probably said this already but she is 9 years old. Cobb angle was 24 degrees in July and 26 degrees in September. I think the Dr. will take another x ray Monday. Also, my 7 year old daughter is having her curve x rayed for the first time on Monday. I hope it is VERY small. Two decisions at the same time is too overwhelming, especially since I don't feel to confident about anything right now.

Anyway, I see I'm going on a bit. Nervous I guess. It is therapeutic to get these thoughts out there though. So again Maria, thank you!

Comment

Maria,
                        I was just looking back over our posts. I think it's great that David is holding at 32. In addition to that you said his rotation is much better, which, cosmetically, looks better. Can the stapling correct the rotation without correcting the curve? Does the curve and rotation happen separately? I guess what I mean is can you have one without the other? I don't remember anyone talking about Michela's rotation?

I was just wondering, do either of your older children have scoliosis?

Stephanie

Comment

Hi Stephanie,

I'm curious what doctor you are seeing on LI on Monday - I ask because David used to see someone in Uniondale - and since LI is quite a ride from the Jersey shore, I guess this doctor you are seeing was highly recommended. So was mine - but someone said recently about Shriners that they are "just far ahead of everyone else". I agree.

Also, why is your other daughter being x-rayed? Does she have a curve or is this just a precaution?

Thanks.

Maria
                          mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Stephanie,

I just saw your other post (it might be easier for us to email - my address is below).

Anyway, the stapling apparently CAN correct some degree of rotation since it did with David. Dr. Betz even compared how the vertebrae looked preop and now and there is DEFINITELY improvement - I can also see it with the naked eye - and his rib hump is MUCH smaller than preop.

You asked can the stapling correct rotation without correcting the curve? I don't think that would happen - if it corrected the rotation then it would most likely have corrected the curve (hope that makes sense). Some kids, especially those with curves in the 20's, have little or no rotation so perhaps that's why nobody mentioned it.

No, my two older kids don't have scoliosis.

Good luck,

Maria
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi Maria,

My second daughter, Shannon, is being x rayed because our pediatrician and I can see a curve. It seems small and almost insignificant, but with her sisters diagnosis we figured it's best to get a baseline and see where we are at.

The doctor I am seeing is out in Stony Brook. Her name is Dr. Susan Haralabatos. She and one of the other doctors in that group( Dr. Carrion) are pediatric orthopedists who use the spine cor brace. I found there practice on the spine corporation website. I had also spoke with the orthotists office manager out there who works with these Doctors and was happy with the conversation I had with her. She answered all my questions and I believe the orthotist is competent. It seems with the spine cor brace the orthotist who fits and adjusts the brace is equally as important as the prescribing doctor. So for me right now, it is Spine Cor vs. Vertebral stapling. However, I will ask Dr. Haralabatos her opinion of vertebral stapling as well.

Stephanie

Comment

Working...
                              X