Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm finally off Vicodin!!!

Hi everyone!

I just had to share this good news. It has been a week since I have needed any pain meds since my surgery in Jan 2006. That's a long time to be on a narcotic and I was so worried that I would need it for life. I know we're all different, but so many of you were off by 3 months or less, and everyone was worried about addiction, as was I. I seem to be pain free and it feels like a miracle has occurred. It is only in looking back that I realize how much pain I was actually in, and how hard I was pushing myself. I hope this can continue, because I'm feeling like my old self again, and am so very grateful!

dhansen
    ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
    T3- sacrum
    dbl.curve, T47,L43

Congratulations!

That makes me feel a bit better about still needing a narcotic at 4 months. Best wishes to you!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hooray for you! And what an encouragement to me! I've been thinking it's taking way too long to get off my Norco. I weaned down and finally stopped completely about a week ago, but have been taking one Darvocet at bedtime since then. Have to admit that I ache during the day and wake up at night because of aches. I think I'll just try to tough it out, but I've been wondering how long people usually feel pain... Or if it will go on forever. I guess everyone is different, but it's good to know that you are relatively pain free now. There's hope!

PS--this is my very first time in the forum. I found it kind of by accident a few weeks back but didn't end up getting a response to my registration request until today. I'm excited about this forum. Just wish I'd known about it sooner!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi D,

That's great news, and it's also great for all those that feel shame when they think they are on the meds longer than others. But to those out there that are off of them sooner, it's a wonderful thing, but those of us that still take them, doesn't make us weaker people. We all l have to take into consideration the different degrees of surgery, and the different outcomes we have.

This is a great thread, and I hope that it gives many people comfort knowing that they are not alone if they are still on the meds after serveral months.

We are all different,
        Shari

Comment

I'm finally off Vicodin!!!

Thanks everyone! I'm continuing to do well off the meds and just continue to hope and pray that this continues and I havn't jinxed myself. I am taking Lyrica 3x day and see that doctor Friday. There seems to be much less of a stigma getting prescriptions for this, thank goodness, so I don't feel so guilty calling each time.

dhansen
          ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
          T3- sacrum
          dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

Working...
          X