Lumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumps

I am 8 months post op and recently just noticed that I have two bumps on my lower back, they are about 4 inches long and 1 1/2 wide and they 1 inch 1/2 apart and they are hard. I think one is my spine and other is the rod, it also hurts sometimes when touched. I worry that something is loose or broke and if those bumps are the rod and spine, shouldn't they be together. Dr. Errico has mentioned he wasn't happy with the way my lower back looks and wanted to go back in to do some adjustments (easy for him to say). Maybe this is what he was talking about. I don't see him until November. Any comments/thoughts?

Sue

I think I would be calling him ASAP, even just to ease your concerns, if nothing else. You can't be too careful!

Best wishes,
    Renee

Comment

Hi Sue...

In an adult, the rods may be 3-4" apart in the lumbar spine. Since Dr. Errico made a comment about it, I'm guessing there's definitely something wrong. I'm sort of surprised that he's waiting so long to go back in. Usually, I think surgeons want to go back in ASAP so that they don't have to break up the fusion to correct the problem. At this point, your fusion is probably pretty solid, so whatever the problem is, it seems to me that it wouldn't be an emergency.

Good luck with your appointment.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Dear Sue-- Just wanted you to know you're in my thoughts and prayers. I read your post this morning before I left for a day out with my husband, going to a workshop about an hour away. You kept popping into my mind all day. I can't imagine being in your shoes, but know that there's a bunch of us out there pulling for you and praying for you. Just take it one day at a time and try to not panic. Even a worst case scenario is just a set back, not an impossibility. (Right, easy to say when it's not you!) Keep us posted. I'm ready to cry for you and then support you however I can.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks for your response and prayers.

Comment

Working...
          X