How long to get back to 100%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to get back to 100%

Hi all. While I think I'm healing fine, no major complications, I'm wondering how long most people took to get back to 100%? I had surgery (T-4 to L-3) In August (10 months ago), at age 43 for a 65 degree upper and 45 degree lower, they only fused the upper curve, and surgery was from the back only.

I am walking around 3 miles 4 or 5 days per week, and working 3 5 hour days. But, I have not been able to increase my hours or add more days, and have not been able to return to my prior job of teaching preschool (I'm doing office type work now). I don't take any pain meds or muscle relaxants during the day at all, (rarely), but do take 1 roxicet and muscle relaxant every night or I wake up at 2 in too much pain. Is this about typical for most of you who have had surgery. I talked to the nurse at my 6 month check up and she said it seemed as tho most adults with this surgery take between 1 & 2 years to get back to 100%. How about you all?

Thanks for your input.

Paula
    PJO

Hi Paula...

I had my surgery at age 42, and have to agree with what the nurse told you. I was surprised at how long it took for me to get my strength back. I honestly think it was more like 3 years for me. Don't get discouraged yet. Hopefully you still have a lot of improvement to experience. :-)

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi, paula:

i am very impressed by how far you can walk...i can't do three blocks in my current condition, never mind three miles! since i haven't had surgery yet i don't have encouragement to offer from my own experience, but good for you on the progress you've made so far! i'm sure you've worked hard to get where you are today....
      Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
      T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
      Fused T3 - S1
      Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
      Dr. Robert G. Viere
      North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

Working...
      X