Alternative Treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Treatment

I am a 27F with thoro curve of 32 and lumbar curve of 30. I had a brace until age 18 and at that time my curves were 18/18 and I was told it would not progress in adulthood. Riiigggght. So much for doctors actually KNOWING what they are talking about.

Anyway I am in pain all day every day. I can't stand up for more than 30 minutes at a time without severe pain. I cannot sit straight in a chair as my ribhump digs into my back. My clothing looks terrible, my posture is awful and it has shattered my self esteem.

I am not a candidate for surgery so I am looking into alternative treatments. I am going to try the Spinecor brace in conjunction with Clear Institute.

Anyone done either of these? What were your results like?

Thanks
    28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
    1998 22T/20L
    2002 30T/28L
    2006 34T/28L
    2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

I can't comment on braces, but for pain management I have found light exercise helpful (swimming and pilates). Please have a look at my post from a few days ago under in the adult patients surgical forum, in the category physical activity for fused spines or similar. It's something that you can only do as tolerated, but if you're like me you'll try anything!

One thing that I have heard about bracing, is that you are at risk of not using the muscles and therefore making them weak. This weakness causes more pain when the brace is off, so it's important to do an excercise program in conjunction with bracing.
    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
    msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Mobee211:
      Our daughter is doing Pettibon combined with Spinecor. We go to get the brace next Tuesday. We don't know how it will turn out yet but we will keep you posted. We are really really hoping to avoid surgery.
      Did you see the post I put up about Dr. Morningstar looking for Spinecor brace patients? He is offering a free Spinecor brace to the first few patients while he gets certified. He is one of the leading U.S. Pettibon (Clear Institute) chiropractors. We don't qualify because our daughter's curves are too high but you might.
      Ruth
      Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Thank you so much!

Ruth I did see your post. My problem is that I am going ahead with the clear inst. stuff and cannot take extra time off t go to milwaukee (i think that is where the thing you mentioned is) for spinecor. Plus, i think if i fight hard enough i might be able to get my uinsurance to cover spinecor.

thanks for the excercse tips as well!

28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
        1998 22T/20L
        2002 30T/28L
        2006 34T/28L
        2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

Working...
        X