Two weeks post surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two weeks post surgery

When I was considering surgery for my 12-year-old, this is the kind of story I felt relieved to hear, so thought I would share it with anyone who is facing surgery now. Olivia had surgery on October 1st, T5-T12. She has made a beautiful recovery, is walking about a half mile or more each day, is on Tylenol only for mild pain, and is happlily watching the Red Sox game right now. It is amazing to me how far things have come just 15 days after surgery. She stayed in the hospital one week and I must say that phase of recovery was difficult for her and for us. However, after day four, her progress picked up dramatically each day.

One of the things that helped her a lot before and after surgery was a relaxation/guided imagery CD by Peggy Huddleston "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster" that she listened to daily. Part of this program was postive healing statements said during surgery to help speed recovery. Her surgeon, anesthesiologists and nurses were all very receptive to saying these things. It helped her relax right up until the moment of anesthesia, and also with pain management afterwards.

Information from the people on this forum was invaluable to us in preparation for this journey as was talking one-on-one to folks who had been through this. For example, dealing with little things (that are actually big things) like taking a laxative from the get-go, really made a difference in her comfort level.

Thank you to everyone who shared their story on this forum! It's so appreciated.

horray for olivia! (:
    i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

I am so happy to hear how well Olivia is doing. I wish I would have known about that CD. Perhaps it could have helped us, as well.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

That is great news for you and Olivia. What a relief for you.

We're going for our pre-op tomorrow and I would like to ask them about the laxatives. When did Olivia start taking them and what kind?

Comment

I'm so glad to hear everything went so well for Olivia. It still amazes me at how stressed I was before Patrick's surgery and all that just vanished after the first couple weeks post-surgery. Hope her recovery continues well as I'm sure it will.
          Keep on walking!!
          Ramona
          mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
          diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
          also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
          fused T4 to L1

Comment

Great suggestions

Thank you OliviasMom, What a positive story, and so glad you shared it. As we prepare for surgery in 3 weeks, this is indeed the kind of story you like to read.
            My daughter is older, 15, but I will try to coax her into listening to the CD, great idea, as I think you cannot underestimate the mind/healing connection for good outcomes.
            Amanda will have t2-t11 fused at Scottish Rite in Dallas. I'm so happy for you have it behind you.

Mary

Sherie, good luck on your preop appt tomorrow, ours is not til the day before, although we've done the blood work asked for.

Comment

Sherie,

Good luck tomorrow.

Mary, good luck with your daughter's surgery.

I have a question for the post-op kids with braces. Do they need an antibiotic for check-ups with the ortho or just for cleanings and such with the dentist?

I swear if you parents didn't tell me about the antibiotics for these kids for the dentist, my surgeon wouldn't have mentioned it. I just don't get that!!!
              Melissa
              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Hi Melissa,

The antibiotic is for any dental work/cleanings. I believe it is to be given 1 hr. before appt. I knew about it beforehand (from the wonderful peeps on this forum ) I think I found it mentioned somewhere in the myriad of post-op papers we were given, but without knowing, I probably wouldn't have really noticed or remembered it.

Renee

Comment

OliviasMom,
                  Thank you for posting your story about Olivia. I'm so glad to hear that she is doing so well 2 weeks post-op and I hope that her recovery continues to go smoothly. I bet you are breathing a HUGE sigh of relief at this point knowing that you are on the other side of this surgery. Congratulations!!

Lori
                  Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
                  Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
                  Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Melissa,

On second thought, ask about needing an antibiotic before seeing orthodontist. Joe got his braces removed a couple of months before surgery so that wasn't an issue with us.

Renee

Comment

thanks

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. It means so much. I did so much worrying/ crying/preparing before this surgery, the relief I feel now is enormous and wonderful.

Sherie,
                      Good luck at the pre-op.

Olivia was given a stool softener on day 1 I believe, as well as a suppository, but I also asked for a laxative daily as folks had told me the consitpation was a real source of discomfort. Once we got home, I gave her Dulcolax 2x a day for several days. It was gentle and got things back to normal.

MimiT,
                      We will be thinking about Amanda. I hope she will find the guided imagery relaxing and empowering, too. Soon it will all be behind you, too.

Comment

Thanks for the information, these are things we probably wouldn't even think about if not for the forum (glad Melissa said something about the dentist, that's another question). I hope I will get that relief after surgery you're feeling now, I've been so anxious about all of this.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. The blood donation hasn't gone well so far, she had a rapid pulse 2 days in a row then yesterday she wasn't feeling well, some little bug, I think her nerves are getting to her. Renee, I hope she doesn't end up having to donate at the last minute like Joe!

Mary, I went to Texas Scottish Rite for a surgery evaluation, but ended up with Dr. Lenke. Who's doing your daughter's surgery? My friend's daughter recently had a spinal fusion there, she did great. If you would like to talk to her, I can probably put you in touch, I think she'd be more than happy to talk to you.

Comment

Working...
                        X