Activities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activities

Hi guys i have my MRI scan on Friday i am hoping to find out when my surgery a few weeks after this, and I am just wondering after the op and recovery of course would I be able to do horse riding still and quad biking, as I am planing on going back to Egypt with parents and i love riding on horse and quads over the derset just want to knw if this will still be possible, i know everyone is different but just rough ideas would be great thank you.
    And i also do Belly dancing, not sure I would be able to do that anymore thoug with it being all hip work mostly.

Angela
    Angela, 25 England.
    75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
    Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
    Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
    May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

It might take a while until your fusion is healed to feel comfortable with the vibration and bumping caused by those two activities. There is a person on this forum who bought a Harley Davidson post-op. When I had my surgery for the first few months although I was comfortable walking about, I wasn't comfortable on stairs etc. At about the 6 month mark I was feeling great and could do anything. About a year or so later I was hit by the crazy stick and started running... wasn't the greatest, but horseriding etc you have someone else absorbing the shock of the ground!
    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
    msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

hi thanks for that i know it is going to take time just hoping i will be able to do most things I do now, this site has been a lot of help with my questions/worries so thanks everyone
      Angela, 25 England.
      May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Comment

I was told by my doctor that if I wanted to ride a horse, it had to be the "old gray mare". Nothing fast or bumpy. Remember that after surgery, your spine will not act the same as before. You won't bend the same and your spine won't absorb shocks the same. My daughter dances and she is 3 years post-op. She tends to be a little sore after jazz and hip hop classes. A lot of your limitations will depend on how high or low your surgery is.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

hi i dont know what my surgery is yet where its going to be fused from and to, al i know is the curve is high in my back by my sholder blades roughly if that helps at all i dont know I have my MRI tomorrow but then I have to wait to see my surgeon dnt know when that will be
          Angela, 25 England.

Comment

Working...
          X