Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought this was interesting about nerve pain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought this was interesting about nerve pain...

I was reading about Gabapentin (Neurontin) on Wikipedia, mainly because I took it for years (for migraines brought on by trigeminal nerve damage). I actually forgot I even had fibromyalgia while I was taking it because it helped everything that hurt. But, oddly enough, the constant migraines left after I had the scoliosis surgery! I have been scared to even talk about it, much less brag about it, for fear that they would return after the morphine ran out of my system. They did not give it to me in the rehab either, nor have I had in the almost 5 months post-op either. But, due to arthritis, I have been pretty achy lately and thought maybe i could ask the doctor about taking it again and was just researching it, and something interesting caught my eye that might explain those sudden electric jolts of pain we all have out of the blue... this is the excerpt from the page..

"Gabapentin has also been found to help patients with post-operative chronic pain (usually caused by nerves that have been severed accidentally in an operation and when grown back, have reconnected incorrectly). Symptoms of this include a tingling sensation near or around the area where the operation was performed, sharp shooting pains, severe aches after much movement, constant 'low ache' all day and sometimes a general 'weak' feeling. These symptoms can appear many months after an operation, and therefore the condition can go unnoticed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabapentin

(I wondered how they figure how they can go unnoticed?)
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

I've been taking Gabapentin since my surgery (over 18 months ago now) and its been a huge help. I have reduced my dose but find that now on a low dose I have some symptoms back. I have hypersensitivity when my thigh is pressed but was interested to read the bit about the general weak feeling as this is quite common when I am tired. Sometimes my leg feels so weak I wonder how it stands up (although it always does)!

I too think its a bit odd that all this can go unnoticed ;-)
    Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
    Post op 30(T)/33(L)
    http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just a reminder - Wikipedia can be edited by anyone. While some of the information you can obtain from that site is interesting, please be sure to seek medical advice and facts from a medical professional.

Comment

I, too, am on gabapentin and it has been a life saver. I don't know how long I'll be on it, but I have no complaints being on it now. I'm about 4 1/2 months post-op and am just taking that and tylonel and doing fine.

Best,
        Anya
        P.S. yeah - you have to be careful with Wikapedia for some things.
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I very strongly agree with you HDG24! Wikipedia is NOT the place to go for any IMPORTANT INFORMATION concerning your health/health care or medications. Anyone with a PC can go in and edit any info and pass it off like it was fact............beware
          SandyC

Comment

Working...
          X