Pulse rate too high for blood donation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulse rate too high for blood donation

I need some advice. I've taken Sheena 2 days in a row for her blood donation, both days her pulse was too high, >100. I checked it at home tonight, it was 80, so she is more nervous than she's letting on. She's the quiet one, doesn't want to discuss surgery or anything to do with it, I think it's catching up to her now. Any good practical advice on how to relax, talking hasn't helped.

Maybe some type of relaxing music on an ipod or cd that she can listen to on the way, and once she is there. the term "giving blood" sounds dramatic, but it really isn't all that bad (try telling that to a teen though huh!) when they put the needle in your arm it might pinch a little (like a shot) but after that it doesn't hurt and after about 10 - 15 min. it's all done. I always look away when they insert the needle, after that I'm ok.

Renee

Comment

Thanks Renee, we're going again today. Wish us luck.

Comment

I hope the blood donation went well Sherie!
        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
        X