PDA

View Full Version : I Drove!!!!!

Singer
10-13-2007, 12:34 PM
...And they said it couldn't be done...! and in a stick-shift, yet!!! I can't begin to tell you all how good it felt to drive around the block. The weak leg did FINE. And the weirdest thing was how HIGH I now sit in the seat!!! I actually had to remove the pillow I used to use for height!!!!

I'm still very awkward getting in and out of the car...and don't feel ready to drive alone...but.....wow. It really does get better.

:D :D :D

Linda W
10-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Way to go, Chris! Congratulations on your spin around the block! I'm hoping to have that same sense of accomplishment, control and freedom in the next few weeks. I can't wait. One of my friends offered to put up cones and police tape in the neighborhood for my first attempt. Hopefully, neither one of us will need that.
Linda W.

lelc2002@yahoo
10-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Congrats to both of you! I still remember so clearly the feelings of accomplishment when I first drove down the street & around the block several months after surgery! A whole new world!!!!!
Just think of all you have accomplished & the rewards ahead..... :o
Lynne

vndy
10-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Several months? My doctor seemed to suggest I'll be driving 2 weeks after surgery -- is that even possible?

I'll really need to be able to drive a month post-op.... Did any of you (Particularly you, Lisa, since you're in Boston!) use the T, or any other subway system before you could drive? I live about a 15minute walk from the T, but could potentially take that to work (it's another 5 minute walk at the other end) if I can't drive...

Congrats to you!

DebbieM
10-13-2007, 07:37 PM
What an awesome feeling that must be. I'm happy for you!!! And you actually feel taller behind the wheel. I know that I will certainly feel better once I'm able to drive :)

ash
10-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Congrats Chris!!!!
Sounds like you're doing great! It's great to hear all the milestones of recovery. Thanks for your advice regarding surgery. I was feeling so good about everything.... then I saw my brother today and his Ortho. surgeon friend said, "Tell your sister to never, never have surgery on her back." Great, thanks "friend." Then I started having an anxiety attack just thinking about it. I just told my brother about this forum and all the positive stories - I left it at that.
Thanks, Ashley

Janet
10-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Yes! Yes! Yes! Congrats, Chris. That is a really big milestone - I wonder if it feels even better than when you learned to drive as a teenager.

I sent you a pm.

crepehanger
10-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Wow! you didn't waste any time!! I have a stickstift too, and I think I does make it a little harder, but, it sure won't stop us, huh?? I'm happy for you! Lisa

~ScoliosisGirl~
10-14-2007, 12:39 AM
Heyy there!
do u really see a difference in you height after the surgery?
I also heard that not just by having surgery, but if my back
gets straighter, ill be growing much more!
I feel ive grown a lot.. but im not sure if its due to my back
or just cuz im growing! =]] hehe

Check out my site!!!
www.myscoliosisstory.com!!!!!!!!

Singer
10-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Thank you all!

Yes, ScoliosisGirl, most people are at least a little taller after their surgery.

crepehanger
10-14-2007, 04:13 PM
I gained 1 1/2 inches post-op. I have heard of more than that from the other members- Nice website! Good luck with your progress... Lisa

rainbow2010
10-14-2007, 04:44 PM
I remember when the doctor told my daughter she could drive post-op. We told him that she wasn't allowed and he said she was. He forgot that she was only 14 :D

crgriffith
10-15-2007, 11:23 AM
I've been driving a few months now and it's getting easier, but I'm still having trouble adjusting my seat. If I lean it back to a comfortable position, I feel like a "cruiser" and lose visability. If I sit it up straight, the bend of my legs is perpenticular to my body, and after some time, begins to ache. I've even had my leg "fall asleep" in this position. Does anyone else have this problem and/or a solution?

Shari
10-16-2007, 11:52 PM
Way to go Chris,

My first drive was such a triumph for me also. I didn't go far, and felt like a nervous teenager, but I felt like it was a huge stride, as I'm sure you do also!!!

Congrats,
Shari :D

nzgirl
10-17-2007, 06:38 AM
Vndy... driving at 2 weeks post-op seems extremely optimistic, I wonder if he meant to say 2 months? Unless he is operating using some wonderful non-invasive technique which hasn't filtered out to the rest of us yet. :eek:

vndy
10-17-2007, 05:22 PM
What's a realistic goal? 1 month? this could be a problem...

dianeh
10-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Vndy,

My doctor absolutely forbid me to drive until 3 months post op. I even called and begged. I have heard and read on this forum that people drive much sooner than this.

dhansen

geo
10-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Vndy - I drove at 3 weeks, but ONLY because we don't have freeways in Alaska and I was going straight to work and straight home. Realistically, if I had to drive on freeways, I personally would not have felt safe until about 6 weeks. Your neck mobility is not normal after this, and of course you are forbidden to twist your torso. Also, if you have a stick shift vehicle, I think that would be very painful if not impossible for a good time after surgery.

dajanerz
10-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Vndy - Wouldn't driving post-op also depend on the medications one would be taking? Wouldn't going back to work/school also depend on how heavily medicated one would be?

If you have full benefits with your job - have you looked into FMLA and Short Term Disability? FMLA secures your job for 12 weeks if you are worried about losing it.

I was asked to be in a wedding in December. My surgery is on Monday. So, just to be safe - I stepped down from the wedding and will not present for any of activities at this time (bridal/bachelorette parties). That was one of my problems. Another problem I have are my 2 children. 11 and 6 year old boys. They're going to school - they need help with their homework - they need food on the table. The biggest problem I face is I'm also at risk of losing my job after I return to work because of a slow housing industry... I am optimistic about returning to work at 12 weeks - right when my FMLA runs out.

We all have problems. We all worry. It's how you deal with those issues - don't set yourself up with it if you can control it. You can always postpone your surgery too...

Suzy
10-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Yet again here is a perfect example of everyone's differences in their recovery. I drove at 4 weeks post-op. I think the drugs are a factor as well as your amount of fusion. I have a back up camera that was a HUGE help and I figured out what dosage allowed me to be able to drive safely. I was not able to check my blind spot very well but just made sure to be extra careful IF I needed to change lanes. (I tried not to.)

Fused T10 to L4 at age 43 Feb. 22, 2006