Numbness-Post Op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbness-Post Op

I know numbness post op in the area around the incisions is common but has anyone heard of anything that helps get the feeling back again. Massage or is it just a case of time?

Thanks, Carol
    CarolS
    68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
    Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
    Osteotomy March 20,2008
    Thrilled with results!

Hi Carol,

I'm just over 8 weeks post-op, and I still have numbness around my shoulder blades. It's different from even a week ago (improved), but is still there. The numbness around my incision is gone.

I think I have read that massaging can help. I haven't done that, but I do lay only on my back, so I would think that would help in some small way.
    31 year old female
    55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
    T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
    Xray, 3 mos. post-op
    Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

numbness goes on & on...

good luck, Carol.....on that one..
      I've been numb by that front incision for ions, it seems!
      I think it takes a looong time to feel normal there. Now a bit over a year, it feel s better although still on a string of rainey days it comes back to haunt me! My P.T. guy always laughs when he sees me walking in making a face, hand on my waist...he then makes me work out! always feels better....
      Ly
      fused T11-L5--aug 2006/ant/post

Comment

I was told that numbness can go on for a year or more. My physical therapist told me to massage the area to stimulate feeling also.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I've always been told to rub things of different textures over the numb area (smooth, rough, prickly, etc.) to help stimulate the nerve endings to grow faster and get the feeling back. You might get a "shocking" sensation when the nerves do start to re-innervate, but its better than not having any feeling.

Comment

I found that tapping my fingers and scratching with my nails helped reawaken the nerves. I had DH do that to my back every night while I did it to my side where they removed my rib. Your nerves need to feel the various senstations in order to get working again.

Comment

Numbness

It's 5 years since my revision and numbness continues to decrease year by year. Actually numbness is no problem; it's far better than pain. If you need a shot have them give it on the numb "cheek".
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
              X