PDA

View Full Version : Desperate for a bleach job

Singer
10-12-2007, 10:00 AM
How long did it take for all of you post-op folks to get back to the hairdresser? I have had a friend coming to my house to trim my hair since surgery, but she doesn't do color I don't dare color my own hair. When can you recline back in a hairdressers' chair? I can handle the actual sitting at this point, but I'm worried about the leaning back.

Thanks.

suzyjay
10-12-2007, 10:19 AM
I had my hair highlighted 5 months post op. I would have had it sooner, but my hair was falling out like crazy and I was afraid if I colored it, I would be bald. The sink wasn't bad, I told them I had surgery and I would have to lay back slowly. Maybe you should take a pillow to stick behind your back for support while in the sink.

Sue

crepehanger
10-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Boy, do I commiserate with you on the dye job! I have always colored my own hair. I accepted that it would be a long time before I could do it myself again, if ever. I was almost as gray as a rat and miserable when I made it into the hairdresser after surgery- I wondered who that old lady with the straight back was looking back at me in the mirror!!!! I was not about to complain to the hairdresser that I was uncomfortable in the shampoo chair, but it was a little firm. I did take my pillow and she put a plastic bag over it to keep it dry. But, i felt 200% better and it was so worth it! So honey, my advice is to take your pillow and get that hair done! Hope you are doing well! Lisa

Janet
10-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Chris-
My hairdresser & I have a plan in place for my highlites: she will do the foils, as usual, and when I am done, instead of going to the sink, I will head to my car for the 5-minute drive home, get the shower to the temperature I like, then step into the shower and IMMEDIATELY remove the foils while water pours over my head. The key apparantly is to not let the bleach touch the non-foil-covered hair 'cause the bleach will transfer onto it.
I don't know if this would work for coloring a full head of hair.
The salon also has an adjustable height sink, which I have used the last several times, and it is much much better for me with my humpback and lower back pain.

bsprings
10-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Chris-
I had my "Color" girl come to my house. It was worth it! I think it was 4 or 5 months post op before I went to the salon. So glad you are doing better! (I go see Dr. B. next week!)
Cathie

LEELEE85
10-12-2007, 11:00 PM
I had my hair coloured 8 wks post op. I had my hairdresser come to my house, after she did the colour i just had my own shower to wash it out....

Singer
10-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Wow, some great ideas here. Janet, you crack me up -- I don't know if I'd have the nerve to run out in public with those foils hanging all over my head....

Linda W
10-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Chris,
You are definitely on a roll -- driving and having your hair done! Go for it! I love the idea of bringing a pillow.

However, like SuzyJay, I'm afraid of adding any color to my hair because my hair is falling out at an alarming rate. At my three month post op appointment last week, I told Dr. Rand that it was not my plan to be straighter, taller AND bald. He laughed and said it is not unusual for major surgery to set off a cycle of hair loss. If anyone has experienced the issue of hair loss, please chime in!

Chris, you are making major milestones, and I bet it is a huge morale boost for you!

Linda

Singer
10-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Thank you Linda! Yes, at almost four months post-op, things seem to be humming along.

I am also losing hair....not a huge amount of hair, but enough that I'm kind of careful not to comb it a lot or towel dry it too roughly. I'm told that will subside in the next month or two. Good point about maybe waiting to do the color bit until it all calms down.

Janet
10-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Janet, you crack me up -- I don't know if I'd have the nerve to run out in public with those foils hanging all over my head....

Chris - remember, I live in Berkeley, so I doubt that the foils would catch anyone's attention. :)

sccrm08
10-13-2007, 11:41 PM
I also lost my hair by the handful, I'm almost 5 months post op and I just noticed it has not been falling out nearly as much the last two weeks. I stopped washing it more than twice a week it was so bad and I brushed it as little as possible.

DebbieM
10-14-2007, 12:26 AM
I am curious. Will your hair grow back? I sure hope it does. I cannot afford to lose my hair.

Cakedec
10-14-2007, 05:10 PM
I remember Lynn and myself posting about this same subject a couple of months after surgery. She was also nervous about leaning back in the chair and called Boachie and they said she should be ok. But what I ended up doing is just buying a kit and doing my own at home because I could rinse it out in the shower and didn't have to lean back or bend forwards over the sink.

You're right, it is so nice to get that color back in. I do not think the color had any effect on the hair coming out.

Deb
age 48
posterior surgery 7/24/06
for T72, L77
50% correction

suzyjay
10-14-2007, 06:43 PM
My hair is growing back. It started to fall out around 3 months post op and lasted for about a month. I am now 8 months post op and it has been growing back it feels a little thicker, not totally back, but it takes time if you have long hair the new growth has to catch up.

Sue

Shari
10-16-2007, 11:49 PM
I was losing my hair for serveral months after my surgery. My husband helped me wash it and he didn't tell me that it was coming out in clumps when he combed it. Once I started to comb it myself, I paniced!!!

It eventually did grow back in, and my hairdresser has a sink that she can move up and down, forward and backward so the leaning back was never an issue.

I felt like shit to begin with, but once I was able to get my hair cut and a perm, I felt better. It's amazing how much better I felt when I thought my hair looked nice.

Shari

Susie*Bee
10-22-2007, 06:47 PM
What fun to think of a bleach job! It's amazing how we can feel so much better when our hair is lookin' good! I had mine dyed 5 weeks post-op... made the appointment with the understanding that we could see if it would work out or not. It did, but was a little taxing, even with my brace. I've always worn my brace since then, even though I didn't need to the last time, just as insurance that I wouldn't bend somewhere that I shouldn't. One time the water leaked out between me and the sink, but my hairdresser is a great lady and just laughed about her wet feet. :D

brynnski
11-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Hi, Chris et al:

I haven't been on here for months. Funny how as I am healing (my surgery was May 15) I am focused on being out in the world again and am not so drawn to thinking about all this stuff. Selfish, I know, since my experiences (like all of ours) can help others.

I was surprised to find out that hair loss is associated with our kind of surgery. My hair was falling out at an alarming rate for a couple of months at least, although it didn't start happening until around 3 months after my surgery. I thought it was because I'd gone off Estrogen just before the surgery, and I know that's one of the symptoms of Estrogen withdrawl. I put up with it for awhile, even getting some hair products that were supposed to help hair loss. But finally I couldn't take it anymore (plus my bad insomnia) and went back on the hormones for now. I'm on the smallest dose and I've started going to a Naturopath with a specialty in Endocrinology with the goal of going off them again in the future. My hair has stopped falling out now, for the most part. I'm really glad! I'm also a lot better. I have some pain in my lower back but it doesn't bother me much at all. I'm still on Oxycodone 3 times a day (10 mg) but I'm starting to think that I really don't need it. When I miss a dose though I get severe restless legs, since I have RLS and the Oxycodone is helping that. It's as bad as pain, so I will need to wean myself off slowly with the help of my pain clinic doctor.

My hairdresser came to my house to dye my hair about 1 1/2 to 2 months after my surgery. She was very careful with me and it wasn't too painful. I rinsed it off in the shower. The next month I did it myself (just the roots) and it went OK. Last month I went to see my hairdresser at her shop and by then I was OK sitting in the chair and reclining at her sink. I also brought my pillow.

I'm so pleased with my straight new back! I still hardly recognize it as mine. I'm wearing clingy shirts even, and they look great. Wow!

Take care,

Brynn

Singer
11-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Wow Brynn, it's great to hear from you! I've thought of you often and wondered how you were -- I'm so pleased you're doing well. My hair also started falling out (moderately) at three months. Weird. My long-awaited bleach job is going to happen next week -- should be interesting.

Keep up the good work!

brynnski
11-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Dear Chris,

Good luck with your bleach job! I have a feeling it'll go well. Nothing helps the ol' self esteem and healing spirit much better than great hair, no?

Brynn