Working Post Op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working Post Op

How long did it take to return to work post op? Did you return to FT or PT?

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

I returned to work at 5 months. I feel I could have returned sooner around 3 1/2 to 4 months because I was doing okay, but then I started experiencing a lot of pain and found out I had a staph infection. After taking antibotics I was felt well enough to go back to work. It was tough the first two weeks and I was worried that I would not be able to keep it up. My family thought I was not going to be able to do it but I moved slowly and went to bed early at night and still in pretty much pain but I did it. It got a lot better as time went on.

Sue

Comment

I was back at work at around 3 weeks, but just part time - there is a couch at work that I'm able to lay on whenever I need to, and my boss understands that I may need to leave at any time.

In the last couple of weeks (I'm 8 weeks post-op), I've had some 7 and 8 hour days. My stamina is almost to normal, but I can still feel achiness in my back if I get too involved in work and forget to move around. Next week I will attempt to work a full 40 hours, and I think it will be OK.
      31 year old female
      55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
      T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
      Xray, 3 mos. post-op
      Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

I returned part time at 11 weeks then full time 8 wks after that. I went back 4 hours a day for 4 weeks then 6 hours a day for 4 weeks. It was really helpful to be able to work up to the 8 hour work day.

Comment

I returned back at 3 months post-op. I'm now a little over 4 months and am doing just fine at work. The first few weeks were hard.

Best,
          Anya
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I returned to work after 4 weeks, part time the first week and at 5 weeks full time. I have a desk job at a computer...so it was easy to return.
            Sonia
            58*
            Surgery 6/29/07
            T3-L4

Comment

Sonja - that's incredible that you were back to work at 4 weeks post-op. Our fusions are almost identical and I couldn't sit in our office chair at home for more than one hour at at a time when I was 4 weeks post-op.

Comment

I think returning to work varies for everyone. My doctor thought I might return at 3 months, but I waited 5 months and then went back only parttime. I'm doing OK, but move much more slowly which can be a problem with my occupation. I'm a 60-yr.-old dental hygienist specializing in pediatics. Everyone thinks I'm a bit crazy to return to work, but I love my office staff and working with children.
                Cathy, age 60
                A/P fusion surgeries April 2007,
                T2-sacrum
                Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai, L.A.
                T correction 45 - 24 degrees
                L correction 66 - 46 degrees

Comment

I'll tell you what wasn't easy...wearing that awful awful shell of a brace...to work...in business clothes...in august..in HOUSTON. UGH! Talk about sweaty! and the looks...I felt what girls with giant breasts must feel like. Nobody could keep eye contact! everyone's eyes would drift to my brace.

I was so so so happy to get to stop wearing it. At home was one thing...at work was completely different!
                  Sonia
                  58*
                  Surgery 6/29/07
                  T3-L4

Comment

I really appreciate all of you taking the time to answer my post. The reason I am asking this is because I recently graduated with my degree in health care and am working at a doctor's office. After two days on the job, my back was hurting sooooooo bad!!! I was a full-time student and not working when I had my surgery and I didn't have any health insurance so I wasn't able to complete physical therapy. I'm not sure if that is what is working against me now of if I am dealing with the nerves. My surgeon said that I need to work on gaining more muscle tissue near my upper back. I will be 8 months post op on the 28th. Any suggestions?? I have been using patches and they do help sometimes. Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it!!

Amber

Comment

I started PT at the same time that I began working 8 hour days and I have to say that PT really made a difference in helping me feel stronger and lessening the stiffness/achy pain in my lower back. After 6-8 wks of PT, I felt great and haven't looked back! If you can look into PT or some sort of exercise program now, I think it could be very beneficial.

Comment

Working...
                      X