Brace with Torso Rotation exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brace with Torso Rotation exercises

Are there any patients wearing a brace and using the Med X Torso rotation exercises? We are trying this approach with our 12 year old daughter. She measured 2 20 degree curves in January 2007, wears the Charleston night brace and does MedX machines 2 x per week. We do the Med X torso machine and the Med X lumbar machine.

After our first 4 month check up, curves measured 20 and 16. We go back in November, which will be 7 months in brace and 8 months doing the machines. We are anxious to see the results.

Has anyone else used this approach?

we are doing torsorotation, though not on medx as not available in UK. My daughter also wears the spinecor brace,

So yes, we are trying something similar

Comment

I've worked on both Medx machines -- rotation and lumbar flexion-extension. (There's a cervical machine also, that's more specialized.) They are potentially one of the most effective anti-scoliosis tools that exist. But you have to be wary, because nobody fully understands how to use them for scoli. There needs to be a lot more research on this. I see no reason not to use them in a brace (though I'm not a medical professional). Post-operative might be a contraindication.

The existing scoliosis research literature focuses on the rotation machine, but I doubt that it targets the most important muscles for scoliosis. From the clinical studies it appears that the docs themselves are not quite sure exactly which muscle groups it targets.

I had a very significant imbalance of rotational strength that was able to equalize in about two months (2-3x per week on the Medx rotation machine for about 5 minutes). My impression is that it is a good tool, well worth using, but does not treat the whole problem. I still have a curve and a hump.

I also used the Medx lumbar flexion-extension machine, for a couple months (2x/week) at a chiropractor's office, and later on my own at a gym. It quickly increased my lower back strength, which still helps me 5 years later. I don't get back pain lifting heavy boxes any more, and the pain used to disable me.

However -- *big caveat*: this machine will probably overstrengthen the side that is already too strong! It is designed for normal backs with symmetrical musculature, and the person must lean straight back on the machine. If we with our curved spines lean straight back, the convex side is doing most of the pulling. Try it.

When I figured this out, I started sitting sideways, roughly 45 deg, on the flexion-extension machine (the standard one, not the computerized version). That way I could target my weak (lumbar) side. It seemed to work but it's tricky.

The Schroth system has a similar exercise without machines, Figs. 237-238 in Christa Lehnert-Schroth's book. You strap your feet to a narrow table, put convex-side hip on the edge, and lean down using your torso as a weight stack. Raise up to horizontal, then back down for 20 reps. Hook a bag of books under your elbow when it gets too easy. That targets your weak-side (concave) lumbar back erector muscles.
      Last edited by Writer; 01-14-2008, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X