Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More questions

Hey all,

So I established my blood donation program today, so my boyfriend (and possibly others) can donate blood for me, since the surgeon said I can't donate for myself. Is there anything else he should be doing besides generally being healthy?

Also, how are all of you who are preparing for surgery handling flu shots? I'm thinking I'll get mine about 3 weeks before....

And lastly, how do you shave your legs post-op?

Thanks!
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Just a word of caution - my husband was not allowed to donate blood for me because we may plan on having children and there is a greater risk for child defects. I don't know if that is in your future with your boyfriend, but it is something to consider.

My husband shaved my legs post-op, but other people have put a razor on a stick. I am now 4 months post-op and am shaving my own legs.

Best of luck,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I seen in earlier posts that there could be a problem with getting blood donated by someone we plan to have children with.

Sue

Comment

uh oh!

I'll call the blood donation center, my PCP, surgeon, or a genetics hotline tomorrow and find out...

Thanks for the head up
        2000 34*L/39*T
        2007 44*L/53*T

12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Dodged a bullet!

I spoke to a blood pathologist doctor this morning. Turns out it IS a bad idea to have a blood transfusion from someone you may have children with. It has to do with your body developing antibodies similar to theirs, and if these antibodies move through the placenta during pregnancy, the baby can get a blood disease.

I'm concerned that neither my surgeon nor the blood bank told me this as I was walking around talking about "my boyfriend donating for me." It seems it should have raised some red flags and I shouldn't have had to do so much digging to find out it was a bad idea! I'm frustrated, now that I don't have anyone else with a similar blood type who can donate for me.. I guess it's general blood supply blood for me
          2000 34*L/39*T
          2007 44*L/53*T

12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

I donated one unit of blood for my surgery through my local Red Cross and was going to have DH donate for me as well since he's O neg, but we were told it would cost upwards of $400 per unit. The cost is mostly charged by the hospital to keep the blood separate from the general public blood bank within the hospital. A small amount of that fee is charged by the Red Cross. Along with my surgeon, we decided it wasn't worth it. I was given 4 units total during and after my surgery, including my own, and everything worked out well.

Comment

Two points for Anya and Sue !

I am very impressed with both of you for catching that blood transfusion problem with her boyfriend before she had it done. I would not have had a clue, I've been out of the baby business for 23 years now....Good job... Lisa
              Lisa age 47
              T curve 69 degrees
              L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
              fused to from T-3 to sacrum
              anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
              pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Thank you thank you!

I second Lisa -- Thank you thank you!
                2000 34*L/39*T
                2007 44*L/53*T

12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Just to let you know - I ended up using all the blood I donated to myself and then had another transfusion in the hospital. It went absolutely fine, so if you need to have someone else's blood, it is carefully screened and safe these days.

Best of luck,
                  Anya
                  "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                  Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                  19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I had surgery June 26,27 AND July 3, 2007. I was also concerned about the blood donors. I am O+ and the only donors were my cousin and my husband. So they both donated for me, and they also told me about the risk of having children.We were both ok with this, because we already have two children.

After all this, on June 27th, after using seven units of blood and not being able to complete my surgery(I was bleeding too much), I couldn't be concerned anymore. I was told everything is carefully screened and not to worry.

When they told me they were going to finish on July 3rd, I asked if I could get any blood donors. They told me that I could't because they needed to be screened and there wasn't enough time for that.

On Juy 3rd, they used 5 more units of blood - so all my concerns went out the window, and I hope that all this blood was screened correctly!!!!!

Maria

Comment

as for shaving your legs, do a lot of stretching ahead of time to make it easier. I used Nair or an electric razor. I had my surgery in February in the north so I didn't care about shaving my legs until summer
                      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
                      X