Does the curve get worse with age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the curve get worse with age?

I am 18 right now with a curve of 47. The doc told me not to wear the brace anymore but I still do. I usually dont get pains just soreness after some hard workouts.

But yeah any old schoolers out there who's curves have not gotten worse over the years ?

Mine has gotten a lot worse. When I was 16, my curve was 18 degrees and my doctor told me I was done growing and it wouldn't progress. Now I'm 25 and my curve is 47 degrees. I'm having surgery in May. Curves seem to get worse as an adult if they are over 40 degrees, at least that's what I have heard. Good luck!
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

I guess everyperson is diffrent.

Comment

Mine seems to be progressing still... I'll know more at my follow up in November. It'll be more apparent if there is any progression or if the degree from 2006 was a measuring discrepancy.
        30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
        2005 - T50, L31
        bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
        2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
        Post - op curve ~35

Comment

progression of curves...

Hi...my curves were 45 & 47 at 18 yrs old. I just had surgery last year at age 46 and my mid curve was 95. I probably wish I had done it several years before but was unaware of help. I was balanced as a teenager & for quite a while after looked fine plus I was very athletic & flexible. The curves just progessed as I aged, had chldren etc. By my late 30's ,early 40's I developed a hump. Lynne

Comment

For reasons unknown, curve progression after skeletal maturity is more likely in girls than in boys. And as you can see, the majority of forum members here are female. Being a male, you may get lucky and not have further progression, but since your curve is already at 47, you should be closely watched by your doctor.

Good luck,

Chris

Comment

wow this thread is seriously scary haha. I'm 17 with 2 45ish degree curves...my doctor right now really just blows me off...everytime I see him he tells me to come back in a year or two. I wanted a new doctor but I was kinda doubting myself....now I'm definetly getting a new one lol. I'll make my mom call and get an appointment next week!
              ~Leelee ♪
              [-] 17 years old
              _[-] 12th grade
              [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
              _[-] kyphosis, 67*
              [-] Boston brace for 4 years
              _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Comment

Yeah I forget to mention that I am a male...and most of the posters are female so their is a diffrence in growth I guess.

Comment

Mine has gotten a lot worse, too. I am now in my early 20s and my curves are worse. I can tell because I am in a lot more pain now than I was several months ago.

Comment

The 'will my curve get worse' question is the one that everyone wants an answer to, but noone can get. My advice, is don't assume that it won't progress, and keep getting regular check ups. That way if the worst happens, you can at least be one step ahead!
                    Last edited by nzgirl; 10-07-2007, 10:52 PM.
                    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
                    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
                    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
                    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
                    msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by coloradogirl
                      Mine has gotten a lot worse, too. I am now in my early 20s and my curves are worse. I can tell because I am in a lot more pain now than I was several months ago.
                      Can I send you some information via e-mail? You can send me a priate message .

Comment

Mine has progressed from 18/18 degrees at age 18 to 32/30 at age 26.
                        28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
                        1998 22T/20L
                        2002 30T/28L
                        2006 34T/28L
                        2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

I'm a 55 year old male. My lumbar curve was 28D at 18 years old, it is now 40D and I'm no girl! My primary curve (thoracic)was 46D and it is now 50D, and I now have a 30D cervical curve. My scoli doc said years ago they believed that male curves did not progress, they now know they were wrong.
                          Age 54, 30C-50T-40L
                          western suburbs of Chicago

Comment

Actually, empirical data shows a ±50° degree curve (not 40°) will oft times progress in adulthood at ±1° per year.

Not always the case. We're all different.
                            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

why does it get worse?

why does the scoliosis get worse? mine is at 19 degrees and was at 16 degrees a couple of years ago and i am only 34. what would cause it to get worse? i am done growing.its only been 4 years time i am not wearing any braces. can any one help?
                              vicki
                              http://www.themrswebdirectory.com
                              http://www.cleidocranialdisostosis.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X