I'm Home! Two Weeks Post-Op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Home! Two Weeks Post-Op

Hi all. Just wanted to post and say that I'm finally home! I wanted out of the hospital so bad. I'm not sure what the exact correction was yet. I have to make an appointment with Dr. Boachie's office for my one month post-op to get details.

The surgery went really well although there were a couple of complications. My lung was slightly lacerated in the anterior portion of the surgery. So I had some trouble with breathing afterwards. Then I developed a blood clot in my jugular (where the central line was). So that was further complications with getting the ultrasound done which seemed to take forever because I was in such pain.

My lung seems to have healed but my blood counts still aren't where they are supposed to be. So I'm still on blood thinners. I'm up and walking with a walker, but I still can't go too far. I'm just looking forward to each week getting easier.

I was hoping to be able to see Carmen while I was there, but I think she was still in recovery by the time I came home on Monday. I was glad to read the posts on her and hear that she is holding her own.

This surgery is not for the weak!

Well, I just took pain meds and need to rest. I will try to follow-up with everyone during the week.

Mish
    MishP
    38 y/o
    Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 6 - Bracing didn't help
    Brace off at age 12
    Saw Chiropractor/massage therapist
    Pre-op
    Upper Curve - 115 degrees
    Lower Curve - 85 degrees
    9/18/07 Anterior/posterior surgery w/Dr. Boachie-Adjei
    Fused T2-L3
    Not sure of post-op correction

Congratulations Mish,

It's so great and inspiring to here from someone so soon after surgery!!! You may not feel you are doing as well as those of us that have had this surgery, think you are doing!!!

It took months for me to get back on here, and I am always in awe of those of you that can do it so soon!!!

I hope you realize just how strong you really are, and how much that strength and courage will get you through this rough time. And know that there are many of out here to help you through your down days!!!

You're incrediable,
    Shari

Comment

great news MISH! Ly--

Comment

It was great to hear from you so soon, Mish! Hang in there!
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Good for you Mish!

Michelle, great news you are home. Carmen is in a room as of Monday morning. She's still weak and just starting to get out of bed. Yesterday, I asked her Doctors to reduce her pain meds because I think that she was getting too much (10mg percoset every 3 hours). They are thinking of rehab after she gets out, which is probably this weekend. You are right. This is one h--l of an operation. You all are very tough folks to have taken it on. John

Comment

We are all so glad you are home. Be patient with yourself and rest a lot. You will get better and better!

Best,
            Anya
            "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
            Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
            19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Michelle,

Sorry you had to endure those complications.
              I'm amazed that you could sit in front of your computer this soon! Very best wishes for an easy recovery.

Janet
              As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

I hope you are able to get rest now that you're finally home; the hospital is no place for that, atleast in my experience!

Being home is such a morale booster, and I wish you all the best in the coming weeks and months.
                31 year old female
                55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
                T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
                Xray, 3 mos. post-op
                Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Welcome Home, Mish!

You are right, this surgery is rough, but you are on the back side now! What are you doing for your lungs and breathing? So glad you're back home. Lisa
                  Lisa age 47
                  T curve 69 degrees
                  L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                  fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                  anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                  pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Working...
                  X