machu picchu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• machu picchu

Hey everyone! Just wanted to touch base with people that are just out of surgery and are in the "is this going to get better" part of recovery. I underwent surgery June 29th (just 3 months ago!) and I just got back from a trip to Peru! We did a few day hikes and my back was tired, and I was worn out, but I was not handicapped or disabled in anyway because of my surgery. I kept up and hiked with everyone else and it was fantastic! Keep up the physical therapy and walk a lot and before you know it you'll be better than before your surgery.

Happy thoughts to everyone!

Sonia

Oh, and Machu Picchu was amazing...anyone having the chance should really see it...but the food did a number on my poor american tummy!
    Sonia
    58*
    Surgery 6/29/07
    T3-L4

Machu Picchu !*#$??!! Congratulations, Sonia, on being able to take on such an adventure at this stage post-op! And a long airplane ride, as well.

I am so glad you posted about this because it sends a message to younger people considering surgery that it is possible to have a quick recovery when done before the bones get too rigid, degenerated, etc. I'll be happy if I can stroll thru Yosemite Valley at 6 months post-op!
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Sonia-how old are you???? I am assuming you are in your 20's--I could have never done that after surgery! Ly(47)

Comment

Good GOD, woman, are you bionic?!?!? I would have collapsed about 150 feet into the first hike...

Congratulations on such a wonderful outcome from your surgery! .
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

As Chris says - you are bionic!!!!!!!!!!
          I am also 3 months post-op, and still in pain.
          I guess we all heal differently. Good luck to you

Maria

Comment

Sonia

You go girl ! A big trip so soon after surgery - you inspired me. Keep up the great recovery.

Sue

Comment

I'm jealous!! That is definitely a place I want to see in my lifetime.

It is so great to read about how well someone can feel so soon after all of this. It's AMAZING!

Glad you had a good time!
              31 year old female
              55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
              T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
              Xray, 3 mos. post-op
              Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

You gotta be young!!!

Wow, Sonia! I can't believe your stamina either! I am so glad you had such a fun trip- I would not have attempted a foreign country, much less a mountain range??? (It that what Machu Piccu is?) Keep up the good work! Lisa

Hey Sonia- post some pictures of this for us....
                Lisa age 47
                T curve 69 degrees
                L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

yes, I'm 25 so my recovery was a little quicker than most, but good news for anyone in their 20's or early 30's thinking about getting the surgery done.

stay positive and set small goals...or Machu Picchu sized ones!

oh, and anyone who doesn't know what Machu Picchu is, google it...pretty neat stuff!
                  Sonia
                  58*
                  Surgery 6/29/07
                  T3-L4

Comment

Hi Sonia,

I'm in awe, amazed, jealous, so happy and proud of you!!!

Keep it up and be proud of what you have accomplished!!!

Wow,
                    Shari

Comment

Oh, my...........

very pretty!!!! I was overcome with curiosity and had to look! That was one heckuva hike !!! Lisa

http://www.andreweland.org/galleries...u/machu-picchu
                      Lisa age 47
                      T curve 69 degrees
                      L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                      fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                      anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                      pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Holy......Sonia that is big!!! I am assuming you had to hike way up to that point....way up!!!! At 25 maybe I could a bit ..not 47...that's amazing!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X