Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itchy, itchy, itchy!!!

Hi Everyone,
    Haven't been on here in ages and really missed it.
    Well its 5 months since my surgery. Can hardly believe it! All has gone well and finally over the last few weeks I am starting to have more energy. Basically don't need to have a nap every day.
    I have started physio and go for my second appt this week.

Anyways, my question to you lovely people is my back is sooooooo itchy. Not the scar but the skin around it. I went to the GP and was told I had eczema (not sure on spelling). They gave me a steriod cream which helped to calm it down as it was really angry. It is loads better but its still itchy. I know it gets itchy because it is healing and the skin is dry etc etc. I have tried oils,lotions and potions

Did anyone have this problemo?? What did they do and when did it go away??

Also the itchiness went round to areas all over my body. Do you think that was all the drugs coming out of my system??
    God, sorry this thread is making me itchy now.

Can't wait to have some advice.
    Miranda

I am 8 months post op and my back has been itchy on and off for a couple of months, not the scar, all around the scar. I don't see dry skin or a rash. I am still coming off hydrocodine (sp) due to pains from staph infection, I thought the itching was from reducing the meds. I know that pain meds can make you itchy. I mentioned the itching to my surgeon's assist and he said thats good it means it's healing. I use a back brush, one you would use in the shower to scratch my back.

Sue

Comment

Try cool packs on the area to control the itching. Another thing to try is putting baby oil on before bathing. The extra washes off in the shower. Some of it could be nerves healing. They get roughed up during the surgery!
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hi Miranda,

I didn't have the dry skin, but I would have the different spots start itching and nothing would stop it for several days, it would drive me crazy at times.

The itching for me would be in a numb spot and I would scratch and scratch and it didn't seem to stop it. Then after a couple of days, it would go away. Then I had feeling back in that spot. For me, I am convinced that it was caused from different nerves waking up.

I still have that sensation to this day occassionally.

Shari

Comment

I have a terrible itch right around the scar where the bone graft was taken from, on my hip. It feels like there is someone chasing me around with a feather all day! I can hardly stand it. I have tried lots of creams and oils as well, but haven't had any luck.
          At least I know I am not alone - although, my incision does seem to have a rash around it...
          Maybe its from all the itching.

Comment

Working...
          X