Yoga or Pilates DVD for scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga or Pilates DVD for scoliosis

Hi, both of my daughters had spinal fusion surgery 2 years ago. One of them still has pain at the rib hump site. I heard that the dvd "Pilates for scoliosis" was very good but then when I looked it up, I saw one for Yoga too. Has anyone tried either of these and are they any good?

Thank you.

Barbara

I haven't tried either one yet - it's too soon since my last surgery - but I believe there's a difference between yoga/pilates exercises for people BEFORE they have had fusions and AFTER they have had fusions. I would think you would have to have instructors who are well versed about scoliosis and fusions so that they can adapt the exercises accordingly. And I do think you should have your daughters work with a qualified instructor first to make sure they are doing the exercises properly, rather than attempting them first from a book or DVD.

I too will be interested to see what anyone else who has fusions will say about either one.
    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

I did pilates last year, it has been about 23 years since I had my harrington rod surgery. It was a small group session with two other people who had scoliosis. It felt great to do exercises on the reformer.
      I would say, make sure you get someone who is knowledgable, my main instructor had been a physical therapist. When she was out, the other instructor was not as keen on understanding we could only do certain positions, our flexibility.
      Good Luck, Emily

Comment

yoga

I do yoga regularly, and my personal opinion is that it's good for my back (and the rest of me). That said, I have surgery scheduled 2 months from now, and do not know how or if I'll be able to practice yoga after surgery...
        2000 34*L/39*T
        2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
        (initially planned T4-L1)
        12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

There's an instructor with her own website/DVD, I think for scoliosis after fusion surgery, Ellen Kiley, scoliyoga/scoliyogi. pat

Comment

There is a book called Pilates for Fragile Backs that is written specifically for people with spinal fusions and/or other back conditions. One of the ladies that wrote the book has scoliosis with previous spinal fusion, and the other lady had spinal fusion for another back condition. It looks like a really great. The exercises have a small warm-up on the mat and then use the reformer and the cadillac. I got mine from Barnes and Noble online, but im sure you can find it multiple places. I have not been able to use mine yet...can't wait till I can start
            Amanda

Comment

Pilates for Fragile Backs

Yes, yes, we also have that book; great book for post-ops. pat

Comment

Working...
              X