Carmeng 3 days post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carmeng 3 days post-op

Carmen's surgery (a/p) was tuesday. She has been in HSS' step-down unit since Wednesday night and I am very happy to say that she is doing very well for someone who was in the OR for 12 hours. yesterday she only used the pain pump once and today they removed it but said she could have it back if needed. Carm says that she is not in any pain at all. later or tomorrow morning they will remove the chest tube and then she can go to a room. Once the tube is out they will also have her sit on edge of bed and dangle her feet off the side. She is weak and falls in and out of sleep, but is talking and smiling. She also had her first "food" this morning - a little jello. Got to say, this hospital and its doctors, nurses, aides, etc. are unfreakingbelievable - never saw anything like it. Thanks all for your comments, Carm really appreciates it. John

WOW, that's just wonderful news!! I'm so happy for you both. My hat's off to Carmen!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

That is amazing, I hope her recovery continues to go so well.
      Patty 51 years old
      Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
      Posterior T3- L4
      Pre surgery curves
      T-53degrees
      L-38degrees
      and a severe side shift to the right.
      Post surgery curves
      Less than 10 degrees
      Surgery April, 2006
      C4 - C6

Comment

Thanks so much for the update. We are all anxious to hear how things are going for her. Sitting up, as well as eating some "real" food, are big steps towards recovery. Other things will follow quickly after that, so this will be an exciting time. Also, am SO glad to hear about the staff; that will be such a key component in the coming days. Wishing her the best!!!
        31 year old female
        55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
        T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
        Xray, 3 mos. post-op
        Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

jnc,

Thank you for the update. It sounds like she is making a lot of progress. I hope things continue to go well for the both of you.

-Christine
          Surgery completed July, 2007
          Fused from T4-T12
          23years old

Comment

JNC

Yippee!! Thanks so much for telling us the great news.
            Wishing Carmen an uneventful recovery, and you the energy to keep doing all that you've been doing.

Janet
            As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

What kind of surgery was it .. Lumbar or thorasic? and how far up and down was she fused?
              right lumbar curve T12- L3 43* T12-L5 69*

Comment

John, tell Carmen I said "Hi & great news" from one Jersey(Bergen Cty) gal to another!!!! Hang in there, it does get better.....Lynne
                ps. I thought the HSS staff was great too!!

Fused T-11 to L-5/ at HSS/ Boachie/Kim Aug 2006
                95 curve reduced to 60.....& holding! Feeling GREAT at a little over a year... http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Pls don't get me wrong - this is clearly not a walk in the park. They had her up sitting on edge of bed twice today and it was brutal. Plus she is retaining fluids, which is causing some issues with breathing. And while she is off the pump, pain is just around the corner and makes unexpected appearances, but is being controlled with meds. However, given that the surgery was only Tuesday, I think she is doing very well. Kartoid her surgery was lumbar T11 to S1. Thanks all for your well wishes. John

Comment

wow T11 to S1 if i would get that surgery i think it would be the excact same thing. Do u know the degree of her curvature like the before and after? and if she gained any height too and how much? I have a right lumbar curve T12- L3 43* T12-L5 69* ... and please keep us updated and let Carmen know that we're all praying for her.. and sorry for the question but whats her age? (if you can disclose that info) Thanx

ivan
                    right lumbar curve T12- L3 43* T12-L5 69*

Comment

Ivan, Carm's curve was 52 and causing compression problems on nerves. She'll be 60 in a few months. Good luck to you. Feel free to ask or PM me with any questions. I know that this decision is huge and I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have. John

Comment

wonderful news......

That is such good news. So much of our recovery is slow in the beginning, but we when we take those first steps, first shower, eating food again, etc., it is so momentous! Tell her that we are so glad!!!! Lisa
                        Lisa age 47
                        T curve 69 degrees
                        L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                        fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                        anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                        pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Thanks for the update, and yes she will have some down days, but it sounds like she's doing just great.

Give her my best as well,
                          Shari

Comment

Working...
                          X