surgery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery question

I just found out today that I need surgery because my scoliosis is getting worse thoracic 58 and lumbar 45. I would be fused from T4 to L3. I just don't know if I want to do the surgery. Will I be able to be active like I am now or will my range of motion be to limited because of the fusion? I don't know of anyone who has had this done, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is a huge surgery - I am almost 8 months post op, fused from T4 to L4, and was 44 when I had the surgery. I should be doing a lot better by now, but I got a staph infection from the surgery. I will be going into the hospital again because the infection has not gone away after being on antobitics for 3 months. The doctor has to go in and clean out the infection and replace the hardware and also fixed a slight flatback that resulted from the surgery. The first surgery was a nightmare thinking of what I have to go through again is making me sick to my stomach. I would not advise anyone into this surgery unless you are in bad pain and nothing else has helped. It is a very tough surgery and it a giant blow on your body. As for range of motion- my range of motion is pretty good only problem I have is twisting - can't do that as well as before surgery, but hasn't stopped me from doing anything. Most of my limited motion is because of the pain I have from the infection, the infection has returned and the infection pain was worst than the surgery pain. When I joined this forum and heard all of the problems people had I didn't think it was going to happen to me - because the doctor tell you that a small percentage of people have trouble after the surgery and majority of people do great after a few months. I was the part of the small percentage. Good luck to you.
    Sue

Comment

Suzyjay- I'm sorry to hear that you had such a hard time. I know infections are awful and to have to go through the surgery twice within a year is horrible. I hope things go better this time. I have dealt with the scoliosis since I was 12 and now am 34. I have had paine for past 10 yrs and it just gets worse as the years go on, so does the curve. I have tried everything and nothing has helped. I don't know if i'm going to go through with the surgery or not but I had rather do it while I'm young and healthy and the doctor can get good results rather than wait till i'm older and the curve is worse. I will not get as good as a correction then. I'm just scared that I will go from being active to being able to do nothing. I guess these concerns are normal but I don't know.I still have to talk with the doctor more next week, guess he will answer some my questions. I hope you feel better and good luck!

Comment

Me too

Dawn -

At age 22, I have made the decision to have surgery now, while I have the best chances of a good surgery outcome. My doctor keeps reminding me that I am likely to have a significant correction and a (relatively) easy(er) recovery while I am "young and healthy in mind and body." Despite this reassurance, it is still a hard decision to make, and a scary thing to anticipate.

Good luck.

Talia
        2000 34*L/39*T
        2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
        (initially planned T4-L1)
        12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

vndy- My doctor said the same thing about better correction and easier recovery. This is why i'm leaning to have it done now versus later. I just don't know if this is the right decision. Good luck to you and keep me posted.

Comment

I am having the surgery on Dec.6..

I am so sorry you have had a rough time of it. Infections are scarey. But, I guess we all take risks to prevent us from being totally deformed.... vanity they name is woman. I am going to be 65 and don't want to be bent over as the years go on. This forum is wonderful and I have been reading all your posts. But it is going to be rought, I am sure of it. You all are great. Dava

Comment

Davasart -

There are a few of us here with surgery the first week of December. Mine is the 3rd. Best of luck, keep us posted, and know there are others in the same boat (I know that helps me!)

Talia
              2000 34*L/39*T
              2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
              (initially planned T4-L1)
              12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Kdawn,
                I am fused from T1-L2. I can remember before my surgery wondering what it would be like to be fused and all the worries that go along with having surgery. Now I can't really remember being able to bend certain ways. I know I once was able to slouch and arch my back. Of course I've had 13 yrs to adjust to it. You will be surprised at what you are still able to do. Some of us can't take high impact aerobics, etc - to much jarring. And sure, you won't be able to bend certain ways. That's really it with my limitations. I'm still active. Most people can't even tell I've had back surgery. 2 of your lumbar won't be fused so you should still be able to bend and twist some (AFTER you've healed properly! ) Ask your surgeon. He might be able to give you a better idea of what kind of flexibility you will have afterwards. Not going to lie - the surgery and healing process can be ROUGH. They will get you up and walking pretty quickly - within a few days of surgery usually. What sucks about recovery is you are limited in what you can do - you have to give your body time to heal and let the bone graft take. But as you heal, you start to be able to do more. You may even notice things like better lung capacity. Not to mention better posture. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.
                Audra
                Last edited by ali8781; 09-27-2007, 10:12 AM. Reason: forgot something
                Audra
                Diagnosed at 12
                42T, 52L presurgery
                surgery in 1994: fused form T1-L2, curves corrected to 25T and 25L
                infection leading to surgery and 10 day hospital stay w/ strong antibiotics 3 weeks later

Comment

To the December surgery girls...and of course, others...

I wish you all luck. I was in my late 20's in 1981 when I had my surgery and it was by far, one of the best decisions I made. I too had constant, relentless, pain most of my life and that is no way to live. When I was able to find someone that could help me, I jumped at the chance and am forever grateful. Although I do have pain issues years later, due to the Harrington Rod (rods that no longer are used), I still am extremely thankful that I was able to have many years painfree. You will not regret your decisions. I'm rooting for all of you. Regards, LYNN
                  1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                  2000 Partial Rod Removal
                  2001 Right Scapular Resection
                  12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                  06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Ali8781- I'm glad to hear you thought it was worth it. Deep down I know this is something I need to do and will make me feel better but is still scary. It makes be feel better knowing that for some people the surgery really is worth it. I hear all the things that can go wrong but rarely hear the good of it in the long run. Thank you for letting me know it really can be worth it.

Comment

It took me years to make a decision, but I think in the end we all know deep down that we need surgery. Watching my curve get worse year after year made me look into the future 20 years......55 yrs old with possibly a 75 L and 55 T ????I wanted a good quality of life when I retire and I'd never have it being that crooked! Not to mention the shrinking height.
                      Best of luck with your decision.
                      Jenn
                      37 y/o female
                      60 degree lumbar
                      45 degree thoracic
                      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
                      T 5 to S 1
                      NYC

Comment

Working...
                      X