X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nervous about Surgery

Hi everyone,
    Three weeks from today is my surgery...
    I am 36 years old and I have scoliosis and degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis. They will be operating on a large herniated disc at T5 S1.
    My doc said that he doesn't know how I have been able to walk with this,
    it is so bad!!! I am very nervous...any words of wisdom and experience would be greatly appreciated!!! I have been in so much pain for several years and I am very tired.
    Thanks in advance...Marie
    MarieMarieMarie

Good luck for your surgery. It's time to start preparing as best as you can! Try and get fit or maintain your fitness as best you can, this will help you in your recovery. It's pretty hard to do this when you are in pain but maybe non weightbearing stuff like swimming, or pilates. There are lots of good tips on the forum if you search them on how to prepare, useful things like freezing meals etc.
    The mental preparation can be a tough one, I've been struggling with that myself. I'm putting together a notebook with things to help me when I have the surgery, like info for family on what they can do to help me, and what I can do for myself to reduce pain and anxiety (like listen to my i-pod, relaxation etc).
    I've also done some exposure stuff using imagery to imagine what it will be like going in to hospital, what I will see, what will happen to me, and think through this all so that I can get used to the idea and not be so anxious on the day. I'd been finding that I had been avoiding thinking about it and the images of lying in bed were upsetting me. The more I thought about it and tried to relax at the same time, the better it got. I went to a psychologist to help me with this.
    All the best!
    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
    msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

You wouldn't be human if you weren't scared of surgery -- we all were. However, if you are like most people you'll get more and more calm as the actual date approaches. Try to stay as physically active as you can; that also helps with your emotions. Good luck!
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

The advice you have already been given is great. You have obviously been through so much and endured so much already. It is natural that you are scared, but when you know you made the right decision, surgery will make such a great difference in your life. I'm almost 4 months post-op and feeling soooooo much better than even a few weeks ago. We even adopted a dog this weekend and I am able to get on the floor and play with him. I'm telling you this because although it seems like a long, scary process, it is WORTH it. There are so many success stories on this site and reading them really helped me.
        Stay fit, do fun things for yourself, talk to friends and family, and stay positive. If you have an ipod, I HIGHLY suggest that you load it with your favorite, uplifting, or relaxing pieces and listen to them before you go under and in the hospital. The music I listened to in the hospital was a life saver.

Best of luck,
        Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I would say to keep in mind what your dr said about not knowing how you've been walking due to the severity of your issues. That goes to show that you and your body are strong and can adapt to anything! You'll be amazed at how your body will adapt to the changes when you are recovering. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X