Have you had Lumbar fusion? have a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you had Lumbar fusion? have a question

Hi First off i want to thank everyone that contributes thier little piece of grain to this site.... well the question i have is I have lumbar scoliosis and like many of you im sure that ur hip sticks out from one side a bit and in ur lower back u have ur spine kind of sticking out because of the cuve.. also maybe depending on the curve ur body is kind of unproportioned since ur lumbar region is curved it's taking from your height... For those of you who have gotten the surgery did all that change?? is ur body more proportioned? did they align ur hip and made it even and did the bump on ur back dissapear? also how much height did u gain. if for say 1" was that an inch more than how tall u are in the morning or at night.. (because when i wake up im taller in the morning but shorter at night maybe like a little over an Inch)

Thank you very much

Ivan
    right lumbar curve T12- L3 43* T12-L5 69*

Hello Ivan

I can't help you now, but in Nov. my daughter will be having surgery and I would be more than happy to update you at that time. She has a very pronounced lumbar area (like you, her lumbar is larger than her thoracic), I can't wait to see how much it will help. She has problems with her left hip too, when she walks she says it feels like it's clicking and she can't go for long distances. I will update the forum when I can after surgery or you can email me and I'll probably get to that sooner and can answer your questions.

Are you trying to decide on surgery?

Comment

Thank you very much Sherie... Yes im debating on getting surgery... at times my back dosent really bother me but at times it does.. i think the reason i want to get the surgery more is because of apperance. But then i know that prob. in the future i will need the surgery becasue my spine is pretty bad. Thank you very much for ur response and lots of luck to you and ur daughter.. and remember to keep us updated

Ivan
      right lumbar curve T12- L3 43* T12-L5 69*

Comment

Hi Ivan -

I had surgery many years ago for a, mostly, lumbar scoliosis. I did have one hip sticking out quite a bit, no waist on one side, and I had lost almost three inches in height.

I had an anterior/posterior proceedure done in 1988, being fused from T-6 to L-4. I had severe pain for many years before the operation, and now it is quite manageable. I gained 1 1/2inches in height, both hips are level and I have a waist on both sides. Even though my spine is still curved I look much more balanced from the front and sides.

Making the deciskion to have surgery is very hard. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Nora
        T-6 - L-4 Zeilke-CD (Anterior - Posterior) procedure in 1988 at age 39. Dr Jean Pierre Farcy New York City. 50% correction of severe levoscoliosis. Continuing to do very well 20 years post-op!

Comment

Ivan

I had upper and lower surgery - upper was around 48 lower was around 58 -60. Now they are around upper 17 and lower 24. I am all most 8 months post op and was 44 when I had the surgery. The lower part of my back doesn't stick out as much as it did but it didn't go away. The upper back look like it sticks out more, my shoulder sticks out that didn't stick out before surgery just the upper right side was uneven now I think the upper is more noticeable. My hips and legs are even. I have been told that I stand and walk straighter and I have gained about 2 inches in height. I don't advise you to have the surgery to look better. It is a hugeeeee surgery and if you are not in great pain and it's not dangerous to your health, put it off for as long as you can. I am still in quite a bit of pain because I got a staph infection from the surgery and after being on 3 months of antibotics the infection came back. The doctor has to go back in to clean out the infction and replace the hardware. After my surgery I thought the worst part was over, boy was I so wrong. Good luck.

Comment

Ivan...my primary curve was in the lumbar section of my spine. Pre-surgery, my torso was shifted to the left, causing my right hip to stick out. My spine also stuck out in the back from the curve along with rotation of my vertebrae. After surgery, my back became totally flat (nothing sticking out anymore) and I gained 2 inches in height and my hips are also now even. Pretty much, the surgery totally straightened me out. I am fused from T-11 to L-5.
            Heather
            Heather
            Surgery date: April 20, 2004
            Anterior/posterior surgery
            Fused T-11 to L-5
            Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
            Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
            Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
            Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Hi Ivan,

I had a lumbar curve of 49*. I had a rib hump and a waist on only one side. I am now 1" taller, a waist on both sides, no hump and am at 8*. I am fused from T10 to L-4. I am doing fantastic at 1 yr. 7 mo. post op. I was 43 at the time of my surgery, posterior only. I never measured myself in the morning or at night so I can't answer that question. Best wishes.

Comment

I read that it's normal to be a little taller in the morning than night, because your body has been stretched out while you sleep. At the end of the day you compress a bit.

Heather & Suzy
                Your backs are straight - that's great. I had a lumbar curve of about 60 and it still sticks out a bit and the upper sticks out more. I wonder if I went to the wrong doctor for surgery.
                Sue

Comment

Working...
                X