Question on bracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on bracing

I have a question about the braces. How long do they usually have to be worn? I heard that they have to be worn for at least a year

Question on bracing

Each person is different when it comes to wearing a brace. Most people are told they need to wear their brace until they are done growing...for some that is one year or others several years. Your doctor is the best person to suggest how long you might need to wear a brace. Good luck.
    Mary Lou

Comment

wishfulthinker,
      I wore my brace 4 11 months and it did nothing 4 me. Now I am in ASCO scoliosis treatment so I no longer wear a brace.

Comment

hello

Hi all! I have had my brace for 3 years. And what is ASCO treatment? How long have the reast of u had ur brace?

glitzy_ditzy06@yahoo.com if ya need me!

Comment

Hi, I'm Kayla

Ive had my brace for two months and already my total curve ( which was 77 counting both) has gone down 38 degrees. They predicted that I will have it for two years, but thats doubtful because I am 13, 5'7 1/2, and almost done growing. I hope it comes off soon! Now I'm 24 lumbar and 15 thoraic!!!! YAY!!!
          Last edited by Kaybabii326; 06-18-2004, 04:28 PM.
          K*a*y

Thoraic Lumbar Support Orthosis (TLSO)
          40 degrees thoraic
          30 degrees lumbar

Comment

You ushley have to wear it til you're done growing.Beetween 13 and 16.
            Ciera,

Comment

Hello @ all!

My doc says that it is one of the biggest mistakes to stop wearing the brace too early. When you finished growing (at the age of 15/16) is NOT the right time to stop wearing the brace because the spine is not stable. Usually, when you stop wearing it, you loose some degrees of the correction, when wearing the brace is stoped too early the whole correction is loosed. This can be avoided by wearing the brace until the age of 18 to 21 (depending on the flexibility of the spine) for 24/7 and then start to take it off very, very slowly - hour by hour. Finally you are completely finished with the brace-treatment at the age of 21 to 24. Then your really can hold the correction you had in the brace.

best regards,
              Lilith

Comment

Hello everyone!
                I had to wear a brace for 3.5 years from the when I was 13 to 16.5. They said I had stopped growing and I gradually came out of the brace, and then had to wait a year without wearing the brace to go back to my Dr. for a checkup. My spine hadn't moved since I had gotten out of the brace.

Comment

Working...
                X