Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga...

I have some questions about yoga...

I spent about a year regularly attending 2 classes a week, and it did wonders for my body. In addition to scoliosis, I also have arthritis (ankles, knees, wrists, fingers...) and I was the closest to pain free I think I've ever been.

After a year "off" yoga (I moved, and couldn't find a studio I liked), I have just discovered a wonderful studio and teacher. Now, it is 10 weeks prior to my surgery date. I'm hoping that doing yoga regularly prior to surgery will strengthen my body in a way that will help me recover quickly... is this likely?

Also, I wonder when (and if?) I'll be able to get back to yoga following surgery. My teacher has suggested she can help me find ways to do yoga without bending or twisting from the waist, soon after surgery. Does this sound like a bad idea? I love the idea of being able to do something that makes me feel good while I'm going through recovery.

Finally, once I'm fully recovered, how much flexibility will I have lost? Will yoga feel the same, or will I be unable to move in the same way I can now?

Thanks!
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Hi Vndy -

I am a yoga teacher and physical therapist, and had ant/post surgery for my scoliosis in 1988 at age 39. I had a two-stage proceedure (Zielke/CD) and am fused from T-6 to L-4. I feel that my yoga practice was the very best thing for preparing for surgery and for recovery.

You are on the right track by sticking to your practice before the operation. It will keep you fit and relaxed - at least as relaxed as a person can be when facing this type of surgery- and you will probably tolerate the surgery better as well.

When you will be able to go back to your practice will have a lot to do with type of surgery you have, how much of the spine is fused, and how you do post-op. However, yoga is about a lot more than just doing postures, so you will be able to get back to doing breathing exercises (pranayama) and meditation right away.

It sounds like your yoga teacher has some experience with this type of surgery and understands that you will have some limitations.

Good luck!

Nora
    T-6 - L-4 Zeilke-CD (Anterior - Posterior) procedure in 1988 at age 39. Dr Jean Pierre Farcy New York City. 50% correction of severe levoscoliosis. Continuing to do very well 20 years post-op!

Comment

vndy,

I took a class in yoga before my surgery and I think it helped me both physically and mentally. I am not sure when I will be able to start yoga again but it is something that I plan on doing when I feel better. It sounds like you are passionate about yoga and will benefit from even the smallest amount of it. Good luck.

-Christine
      Surgery completed July, 2007
      Fused from T4-T12
      23years old

Comment

Working...
      X