Three months post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three months post-op

For anyone who's struggling through the first weeks or months of recovery -- I thought I'd share that for me, three months has been an almost magical turning point. I feel human again! I'm sleeping through the night, walking a slow mile around the neighborhood with my cane, even starting to practice singing again. My weak leg is getting stronger every day, and I'm cutting way back on the pain meds. The challenge now is be active without overdoing it --not an easy balance to strike!

Right up until a couple of weeks ago, I had serious doubts about the wisdom of having had this surgery...but now I feel that it was definitely worth it. When I look in the mirror at my much-improved appearance, I realize that Dr. B. did a great job.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Thanks so much for encouraging words. It is really great to read about what comes with being months, rather than weeks, post-op; definitely a light at the end of the tunnel on those days that the pain and sleeplesness and limitations from this really hit you.

I think you've been such an inspiration as you have worked so hard through all the challenges you have faced.
    31 year old female
    55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
    T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
    Xray, 3 mos. post-op
    Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Fantastic !!

That's such good news, Chris ! That's kind of how it has been for me, almost like waking up one day and it's different. Thank God ! Maybe you're on the downside of that mountain now!! keep on being careful and don't overdo...
      Lisa age 47
      T curve 69 degrees
      L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
      fused to from T-3 to sacrum
      anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
      pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Chris,

Yea Chris! So glad to hear you are making great strides (pun intended) in your recovery.

Since you've experienced more than your share of post-surgery difficulties, and documented them on this forum, I am now planning to print out many of your posts and keep them handy as my post-op "reference manual" to look at when I am feeling down. I also have asked my son to take photos of my before and after x-rays and place them in a picture frame that I will keep at bedside so I can remind myself why I chose to have the surgery.
        As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

What Great News!

Chris - FABULOUS news! Lynn
          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
          2000 Partial Rod Removal
          2001 Right Scapular Resection
          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

question

Hi Chris - may I ask approximately what age you are? I'm 59 and will be having my surgery w/Dr. Boachie this Tuesday. Thanks Carmen

Comment

Yea Chris!

I was so glad to read this post, I have been waiting for you to hit the mark where you realise it all WAS worth it! You are so very correct in realising that now you need to be careful and not over do it. I set myself back a few times by overdoing it. Remember it just keeps getting better!

Comment

Chris,

It is wonderful that you are feeling so much better. I bet it is great to believe that the decision you made was worth it. It can be very difficult when the pain of the surgery brings upon doubt. I am so happy to hear that you found your "magical turning point". This is very motivating. Keep feeling better.

-Christine
                Surgery completed July, 2007
                Fused from T4-T12
                23years old

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. It's been so helpful having all of you to turn to for sympathy and enouragement.

To answer your question, Carmen, I'm 52. Best of luck to you !!
                  Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

The first 3 months for me were the worst, but I didn't have the great recovery you are having.

I am so happy for you!!! And I hope things continue to go well for you.

You are a strong person, you have fought through some adversities and kept a postitive attitude. You are an inspiration and a shining bright light, in a place that can sometimes be a dark place!!!

All my best,
                    Shari

Comment

Thank you Shari. Ironically enough, I spent all weekend in bed with a heating pad because I did way too much on Friday and pulled or strained a muscle in my torso -- ouch!! It's much better today, but I had to laugh at myself. Just when you think you've got it made......along comes a reality check....
                      Chris

Comment

CHRIS! I warned you about you over doing it, you ding dong! LOL! Just remember to take it a bit easier next time. Glad you could laugh about it later, I did a lot of that for sure. Keep up the great attitude.

Comment

Slow down Chris, your not ready for sprinting just yet....good news ! Lynne

Comment

Chris,

I think you are bringing up an important issue in the recovery process for all of us!!! I know when I would have a good day, and would think that things were progressing so well, I would over do it. I think it's common for us strong and independent people.

I never felt that I made a mistake whenever I pushed myself too far on one of my good days, I always paid for it afterwards, but I still felt a sense of accomplishment with some slight regret. But that's part of our recovery.

Keep up the good work,
                            Shari

Comment

On a good day, it's hard to remember just how fragile we really are. In terms of recovery, three months is nothing, but sometimes I feel like I've been this way (post-op) forever. I'm feeling better, but I really did a number on that muscle....
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X