How HIgh a Heel Post-surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How HIgh a Heel Post-surgery?

Anyone else done a lot of shopping before their surgery? I think it's bleed over from the necessary shopping for raised toilet seats, cords with switches on them for lights, etc. But now I'm buying shoes. So my question: are heels still going to be possible in my post-surgical life? I mean,6 months to a year later, but, at all? My best guess is that they are ok at or under 2 1/2 inches.

Anyone tell me what your experience has been? I'd be most grateful.

Holly
    Age 33
    40 degree diagnosed 1993; 70ish degree 2007
    Fusion to T9 to L5 October 3, 2007 with Dr. Kurt Von Rueden
    Corrected to 8 degrees

I wear slip-on sneakers and occasionally sandals. No heels yet....maybe this winter.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I'm able to wear up to 4" heels. I had my surgery in 2005. However, I do admit that I do have to keep a pair of flip flops and a bottle of Aleve handy, if I overdo it as far as walking too much or even running in my heels it hurts the top portion of the hardware at T5. However, I wasn't exactly able to jump right into them. I had to work up to it. What actually made it a little easier to transition back into heels is the fact that I bought a few pairs of platform heels. :0) those helped me get back into my higher up ones. but don't get me wrong. it's murder on the back when it comes to stilletos! Those are still a problem sometimes, but it's not everyday that I get to wear heels either. hope it works out for ya! ~Shelley
      25 yr old female =^_^=
      Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
      Lumbar curve 23 degrees
      surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
      Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

Hi Holly,

I just took a ruler out to measure my heel! They are 2" high, but they are thick heels on boots. I can't imagine a thin heel at this point. I also don't have to walk around in them much, just around my office at work.
        31 year old female
        55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
        T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
        Xray, 3 mos. post-op
        Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Hello,

I'm so in love with high heels to the point that it was the first thing came to my mind before deciding on the surgery. I jumped back in them 3 months after the surgery.
          After going through the surgery, it was like a reward for being a good girl and for the hard work!!

Good luck with your surgery.
          w/curves of 75 degrees Fused T2-L3 in 1999 at Age 14, Fine job done by Dr. Paul Sponseller at John Hopkins Medical - Baltimore, Maryland.

Comment

I admire those of you that can get the heels back on! I gave 'em up sometime back, I feel like a cow on ice and am afraid of falling. But they sure are cute these past couple of years.....Lisa
            Lisa age 47
            T curve 69 degrees
            L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
            fused to from T-3 to sacrum
            anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
            pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

I had asked my doctor about this before surgery. He had said that a low sturdy heel for the first three months should not be an issue - after that its fair game. Of course, I took this as an excuse to purchase shoes of this nature, flats, low heels, and some high heels to reward myself in the future...
              Because I am short, I had to also purchase shorter length pants to wear with the flat shoes....
              I am five months post op, and I can wear a heel of any size (but I do carry a flat with me).
              I think this is just another one of those things that vary with the individual. But is a great excuse to shop for shoes that suit your needs - and when you find them buy them in every color.

Comment

I was in 2" heels to work at 2 months and now I'm wearing whatever (2-3 1/3) on the weekends. I'm 3 months post op.
                Sonia
                58*
                Surgery 6/29/07
                T3-L4

Comment

Hi Holly,

I need to chime in here. I was so concerned about getting back into heels after my surgery I asked EVERYONE I could about it. I found that most of the women who wore heels prior to surgery were able to after. Not all, but most. I took my time and started with lower ones to begin with and with a limited time that I wore them. Now at 1 yr 7 months anything goes for me. I got so sick of tennies while recovering I was thrilled to get into thongs when the weather got warmer. (Yes, I had thongs with heels!) I think buying shoes to look forward to wearing later is an excellent idea. Retail therapy I call it!

Lisa,

I cracked up at your comment of a cow on ice! Great visual! The chunky heels are more stable if you ever want to try to get back on that horse.

Comment

It didn't even cross my mind that I might not be able to wear high heels after surgery...

I'm five feet, and I live in 3inch heels, platforms, wedges, and any other cute shoes that make me look taller. I barely own any flats... uh oh, now I'm nervous!
                    2000 34*L/39*T
                    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
                    (initially planned T4-L1)
                    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

This made me smile!!! I know we all have different recoveries, but for me I was one that never wore heels except when I would put a dress on, which was a rare occassion.

I had a wedding to go to back in May, and I am 2 years post-op. I wanted to wear a dress, so I put on my 1 inch pair of heels, and tried to practice walking in them.

It was hilarious, I looked like I was drunk trying to walk in them. I wore pants and a nice top with flat shoes to that wedding.

I was never good in heels and I'm even worse now, oh well.

Shari

Comment

I'm gonna have to (*gasp*!) wear flats for a while???

Heh ... this thread is simultaneously scary/amusing ;-).

The ONLY flats I own are flip flops (suitable in Houston year 'round) and ... um ... cleats.

After ankle reconstruction, and release from "Aircast Hell" (one level higher, I've determined - even if Dante forgot those chapters - than "Non-Walking Plaster Cast Hell") I flip-flopped to work for a week, and couldn't take it. I can't attest to how fusion/instrumentation might affect my footwear, but I CAN tell you after 10 weeks on no weight bearing on your foot, it SCREAMS when you stick it back in 3" stilletos.

I remember cursing my surgeon every day the first few weeks (and envisioned the t-shirt - "... survived ankle reconstruction, and all I got was this lousy BUNION ..."), but it got better after about the one month mark.

Just wondering ... some aren't/haven't ever/won't ever be (or have no desire to) be comfortable in heels. Does that seem to factor in?

I'm JUST as comfy now in 4 inch footwear as I am barefoot (ok ... these days that just sorta means it doesn't hurt *worse* - and I look better - LOL!).

Interesting thread ...

Regards,
                        Pam (who, I swear - on all I value - will wear heels soon after surgery ... if only in BED! ;-)
                        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

As a future doctor of Chiropractic, we advise our patients to be cautious because wearing heels causes strain on your pelvis and low back, they push you to hold more of a curve in the lumbars, so If you are being fused to L5, you may want to wear lower heels, or else it may put a lot of tension on your sacrum, ligaments and the L5 disc.

Just like wearing heels now, go by how your body feels, some people can handle it better than others!

Roseann
                          2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
                          2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
                          Surgery Dec. 21 2007
                          Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

Working...
                          X