Spina Bifida Occulta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spina Bifida Occulta

We saw a new orthopaedic doctor this past Monday and while showing us our daughter's spine x-ray he casually mentioned that our daughter has a spina bifida occulta. He said "this is quite common - we see it a lot".

I have googled a bit to see what I could find on this and I have read some of the threads on this forum on this subject...... I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a connection between s-shaped scoliosis developing around 9-10 years of age (main curve the thoracic curve) and spina bifida occulta? Also, if there is a connection is there a treatment for the spina bifida occulta which would stop the progression of the scoliosis?
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

My daughter too has a spina bifida occulta as well as her Scoliosis. Jamie also has Spondolenthesis (sp?). If it hadn't been for her Scoliosis, we would have never known about either one. I'm not sure if there is a connection or not, but Jamie wasn't diagnosed until she was 12 y.o.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I had a roommate, a registered nurse, with spina bifida occulta. She did not have scoliosis and ended up marrying an orthopedic surgeon. (And had 4 uncomplicated pregnancies).
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
      X