Anyone had 1 spinal fusion in thoracic, 1 lumbar? Ex: T4-T12+L4-S1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had 1 spinal fusion in thoracic, 1 lumbar? Ex: T4-T12+L4-S1

This might be really rare case as all I see is people with 1 long fusion like T4-S1 and that's it.
    Is there anyone that is like fused T4-T12 then fused L4-S1 leaving L1-L3 unfused behind? Even similar cases are fine. How is your postop experience and satisfaction like? Do you have problems in the unfused areas?

It seems like most surgeons believe that doing this type of fusion leaving the middle gap L1-L3 when there is fusion ontop and fusion below these levels is BAD because the L1-L3 unfused discs will take all the stress and cause disc problems leading to revision surgery in 10 years or less.

Hi Justin -

Not sure if this is relevant, but Dr. Boachie is planning to fuse T2 - L1 to correct 100* kyphosis and L5-S1 to stabilze L5 and keep it from slipping off S1. Dr. B did not see any need to correct compensatory scoliosis L2 - L4.
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Did Dr. Boachie mention that the L2-L4 discs will take all the stress since they are unfused and in the middle of 2 fusions?

Comment

We talked about that, but Dr. B. didn't think it was necessary to fuse the in-betweens at this time; at least I will retain some flexibility.

There are so many variables: age of patient, doctor's training and preference, condition of vertebrae, etc. I am so confident in Dr. B. that I am going with what he thinks is best for me.
        As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Working...
        X