Graduated to a cane!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graduated to a cane!

I've spent so much time bitching and moaning to you all lately I thought I'd share some happy news: I'm officially off the walker and using a cane. It feels GREAT. Hooray!!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Congrats! Hope you continue to progress a little each day

Renee

Comment

Best News Of The Day!

Chris, I am sooooo happy to hear this. Hey, you can bitch and moan all you want - you have every right too. Great news. You're on your way to a full recovery. Take care, LYNN
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Chris,

Congratulations on the milestone of casting aside the walker and beginning to walk with a cane!!! I think you have been a real trooper dealing with some of the issues that have come your way post-operatively. It is so easy to get discouraged -- especially when most of us just want to feel "normal" again and can't wait to begin celebrating the corrections and improvements in our bodies. My most recent milestone occurred last week -- lowering the commode an inch. Believe me when I tell you my husband and son are also celebrating that milestone with me!

Three cheers to you, Chris!
        Linda W.
        Linda
        Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
        S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
        Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
        Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Hurray! Congratulations. Keep the faith that you are going to get even better and I can't wait to hear about more milestones. They are so important to us scolis!

Best,
          Anya
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Just you wait Chris, you are going to be posting more happy news as time goes by! You are going to continue to get better and will look back at your accomplishments with astonishment. This is just such great news.
            Best wishes!

Comment

yay !!!

You will be able to go many more places now with the cane! I kind of hung on to my cane for awhile because I live in a rural area with feral dog packs and they left me alone when I walked softly and carried big stick!!! Have you personalized yours yet? i've seen all kinds of funny stuff on canes... Good Job... Lisa
              Lisa age 47
              T curve 69 degrees
              L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
              fused to from T-3 to sacrum
              anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
              pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Great news, Chris. What a milestone!

OK: time for stupid question: how did you know you were ready to graduate to a cane? Did your PT tell you to just get over it, or what???
                As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Hi Chris,

Congrats on chucking the walker!!!

I hope you know that with all you have gone through, you still have more guts and ability than I did at 3 months post op!!! I am so proud of you!!!

But you are making me feel like a wimp!!! I hope you know just how strong you really are, both physically and mentally!!!

Way to go girl,
                  Shari

Comment

Great news! There's no holding you back now!!!!!!!!!
                    Lynne

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you all so much for your good wishes. I think the person happiest about my milestone is my 11-year-old daughter, who almost cried when she saw me walking with the cane. I didn't realize how worried about me she's been -- this has all been harder on her than I've realized.

Janet -- not a stupid question at all! I switched to the cane during yesterday's physical therapy session -- as the therapist watched me zipping along in the walker she realized I was ready.

I'm just so delighted because that right leg really scared me, it was so very weak. Now it's literally getting stronger every day and I should be driving in the next month or so as long as the spasms die down and I can kick the oxycontin.
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by Singer
                        -- as the therapist watched me zipping along in the walker she realized I was ready.
                        Now Chris, don't get too uppity about how well you are doing

Seriously, I'm so happy for you that the leg weakness soon will be gone - I think I speak for all of us that your experience had us really worried.

Keep up the great progress.
                        Janet
                        As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Chris,
                          I am so happy to hear about this- I'm sure it must be something that your daughter is thrilled about... I, too, am ALWAYS worried about my mom!!
                          It's great news.. thanks for letting us know!

Lesly

Comment

Working...
                          X