Recovery and pre-existing depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery and pre-existing depression

Hello everyone. It's me again. October 3rd is coming fast. Here is my concern du jour: several of you have talked about experiencing depression during recovery, and it seems like an understandable response. I'm concerned because I already have chronic depression. It's generally fine as long as I stay on my meds, but I wonder how the recovery will affect it. I've talked to my surgeon and my shrink about this, and I'd like to hear any thoughts you all may have on this. My shrink, who I just saw today, kind of gave me the business about not going too easy on myself during the recovery, but to be sure to push through the pain to exercise and rebuild strength--to not feel entitled to stay in bed all day. I feel like he was so not getting what this surgery is, and that he shamed me for something I haven't even done yet!

It's possible that I'm being a little sensitive, but that's what happens 3 weeks pre-op--am I right? I wasn't prepared for this from him, and I've felt kind of scared and sad all day since then. I don't suppose there's anything to be done but to sleep it off.

Thank you for witnessing my rant, and for any advice you have.

Holly
    Age 33
    40 degree diagnosed 1993; 70ish degree 2007
    Fusion to T9 to L5 October 3, 2007 with Dr. Kurt Von Rueden
    Corrected to 8 degrees

You can push through the pain only so much. You will spend a lot of time in bed and the smallest amount of activity will make you tired. Getting your sleep and resting is part of the healing. You will be on pain medicine that will also make you tired and slow you down You should walk at least once a day for a long as you can take, if 10mins is all you can do, then that what you do, build up slowly. It's a long recovery and you will be weak for a couple of months. I am 7 months post op and went back to work in July and I still get periods where I just want to take a nap. Depression will be easier to fight if you try to keep your mind busy. Try to have many people around you, I didn't want company over, but they came anyway and I was gald they did because I realized during the visit I wasn't thinking about my discomfort and pain. I really helps to keep yourself interacting with people. Don't be afraid to ask for pain meds, you can't heal if your suffering. Many doctors want to take you off the pain meds to quickly, most people are on pain meds for about three months, so speak up if you are in a lot of pain. Also have someone check your incision every couple of days to make sure it's not red or swollen or leaking to much. Best of luck to you.

Sue

Comment

Holly,

You bring up an excellent point. It’s something that I have thought about as well since I too suffer from chronic depression and anxiety. And I have wondered if something like this could put me right over the edge, and especially since I am alone. I think a psychiatrist is great for prescribing the meds that you will need, but as far as giving advice on how to manage the recovery part of this surgery, I think that’s better left to those who have experienced it for themselves. I saw a psychiatrist who clearly had an aversion for this surgery and said to me, “at least you know what you have now” and then proceeded to tell me about another patient of hers who had unsuccessful surgical treatment for her scoliosis. I have not gone back to her.

Chris

Comment

Holly - First let me say, I wish you good luck and a speedy recovery. Second, not unless your shrink is also a surgeon should he give you this advise. It's like having your surgeon give you advise about your chronic depression! Yes your surgeon can tell you that you could suffer from temporary depression from the meds, etc., but no way could he treat you for your chronic depression. Please don't let this get you down. Your shrink is off base saying that. Continue to take your medicine for depression. They will administer your medicine when you are in the hospital as well (tell them what you are on as I know the hospital I was in did not allow you to bring your own medicine, they administer from their pharmacy). You'll get through this. It's a tough one but you can do this. Positive thoughts! Take care, LYNN
        Last edited by Jacque's Mom; 09-11-2007, 11:46 AM.
        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
        2000 Partial Rod Removal
        2001 Right Scapular Resection
        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

keep the faith

my name is nathan i am new to the forums i had back surgery march 28,2007 for scoliosis. i went throught depression to after my surgery
          becouse i was havin so much pain in my lower back and legs go num all
          the time and my fleet keep falling a sleep. but i am going to keep the
          faith and believe that everything to be all right.i am going to be praying
          for you that god heel your depression.

Comment

Chronic depression and surgical care

Since this is a large surgery causing severe pain post op during the healing period I suggest you use a pain management doctor who will work with your psychiatrist so that you do not receive a dangerous combination but still get the relief you need.

I was much more depressed/anxious before surgery from the pain and deformity(especially the breathing problems!!!)---and I do not have underlying clinical depression. I did have transient severe depression coming off narcotics post-op--that's called withdrawal. That is why I strongly suggest a pain doc who can work with the therapist. My pain doc had a psychologist working with him.

I am NEVER depressed now because I am so grateful I had the thing done and am living a normal, comfortable life.
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Everyone has already given excellent advice. I, too, was/am on meds for anxiety and depression and they will keep giving them to you while you're in the hospital. I think it is helpful to know that depression does happen post-op and it is ok. Of course, you don't want to let yourself get too down, but a good cry now and then actually really helped. I actually expected more depression post-op, but experienced much less. Keep focused on the positive in recovery and know in your heart that this post-op pain and frustration will NOT be around forever. We are all stronger for going through this. I don't experience nearly the amount of anxiety/depression that I did pre-op.

Best of luck,
              Anya
              "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
              Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
              19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Holly,

I have to agree with all the responses here!!! You have already recieved some great advice.

I know myself I was depressed before my surgery and I think it was from the constant pain I was having for years. I didn't seek treatment for it, but I think maybe I should have. It's hard when you can't sleep, work, stand or sit without having pain.

I experienced depression after my surgery, only because I didn't recover as fast as I thought I would. The first 3 months I was in extreme pain, but never depressed. I made the mistake of setting a certain goal for myself, and when I didn't reach it, I started to get depressed again.

Give yourself a chance to overcome this. I know it's hard when you have feelings of nothing but negativity about yourself. I think quite a few of us have been there. I guess my point is, that it's hard to have constant pain.

And after a rough recovery, I can honestly say that I can lay down without pain. To actually have a good night's sleep was not an ordinary thing for me for as long as I can remember, but I have them now. And for me that made it worth everything I went through!!

Sorry I rambled,
                Shari

Comment

Thanks

Thank you to everyone who posted. Your support has helped me a lot. I want to thank particularly those of you who spoke of your own pre-existing depression. Medicating depression is still somewhat stigmatized, so I really appreciate you sharing that with me.

You're the best.

Holly
                  Age 33
                  40 degree diagnosed 1993; 70ish degree 2007
                  Fusion to T9 to L5 October 3, 2007 with Dr. Kurt Von Rueden
                  Corrected to 8 degrees

Comment

Depression & Scoliosis

I had surgery in October 2006 for a TL curve of nearly 60 degrees. Prior to my surgery, I was fairly depressed, negative and anti-social. My recovery has been slower than expected but I am doing very well now. I am much more cheerful and sociable than before my surgery. In retrospect, I am inclined to believe that much of my depression was actually a response to CHRONIC PAIN. For so long, I simply pushed through to work hard, exercise even harder and socialize even when I didn't want to do so. In my case, I never really identified my PHYSICAL PAIN but expressed it as depression . Perhaps like me you will find that your depression improves when you are fully recovered. I won't lie to you- the surgery was a brutal experience- but if you got this far, you'll get through it and find even greater reserves of strength that you ever knew existed. Wishing you all the best!!!

Comment

Originally posted by twisterLA
                      In retrospect, I am inclined to believe that much of my depression was actually a response to CHRONIC PAIN. For so long, I simply pushed through to work hard, exercise even harder and socialize even when I didn't want to do so. In my case, I never really identified my PHYSICAL PAIN but expressed it as depression
                      I too suffer from chronic depression but not from chonic pain (until recently). I think much of it had to do with having this deformity since age 13, and the resulting low self-confidence. I usually felt unworthy of having good things in my life. Thankfully I have found a working regimen of anti-depressants and a fabulous therapist, both of which empowered me to quit a terrible job, end destructive relationships and start to rebuild my life, slowly. This surgery is one more step in that process.

Holly - Here in California, it seems that everyone is in therapy and is taking their meds, but I do appreciate how difficult it could be to come out in other locales. That was very unprofessional of your shrink to say to you what he did - I had shrinks in the past who suggested things that were completely out of the range of what I was depressed about - I think that some of them project their own issues onto patients - and I felt in my gut that they had crossed the line - one even said "you're crazy if you don't do X" - I cancelled my next appointment! I hope you can find the appropriate emotional support.

Best wishes,
                      Janet
                      As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

another depressed crooked person...

Hi Holly. Well, I also suffer from chronic depression- I went years without being treated, finally started the meds Welbutrin at first- and WOW ! what a difference! unlike the literature states- I felt a dramatic change within 20 mins of taking the first dose!! So needless to say, I'm staying on my drugs
                        BUT! When my back pain continued to worsen, my primary doc insisted I try cymbalta - which is for depression AND pain; blocks the pain receptors, I believe, WHatever it does it works! so I tried it and I intend to stay on cymbalta if (when) I have surgical correction.
                        I'm also married, and when I was practically disabled from the depression: unable to make a decision, crabby, withdrawn, slept all the time... depression really is disabling... well, I explained to my husband that he needed to make the decisions and he needed to help me- not by joking, but by talking, helping me focus on something other than myself.
                        So perhaps if you have a close family member- perhaps they can be made aware of your depression>? and perhaps together you can plan NOW how to combat the sadness. Maybe plan battle tactics: discuss ways to fight the depresion now- before you're in post-op pain. Make yourself laugh out loud! Insist that the window shades are up so you can bask in sunshine/ and or get fresh air! Agree on these tactics NOW- before surgery- and YOU have to agree to try to do it after surgery, when your lovd one reminds you. Just try, I know you won't feel like doing any of it but you cannot trust yourself- you know how disabling depression is, you must trust and try to cooperate with your family member/ friend- when they ask you to do these things post-op. (i'm speaking from my experience because I am stubborn!)

The depression may be a part of our life, but it doesn't control us- with meds AND with behavior changes we can fight back. Anyway. strong words -from someone who's not in your shoes. (yet). but - just wanted you to know you're not alone. and please know you will be in my prayers! I will be anxious to hear from you by ... halloween? or maybe Nov... whenever YOU feel like getting online! hang in there- and I am hopeful that the surgery will lessen your pain and increase your activity levels! May God bless you and protect you during this coming trial... Jamie
                        57 years old.
                        thoracic curve 68 degrees
                        lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
                        Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
                        Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
                        THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Working...
                        X