Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How safe are x-rays?

Hi all,

I am wondering how safe all the x-rays we go through are? Have they changed from 30 years ago and are they safer now?
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Hi Patty...

Here's an excellent article on the subject:

http://www.scoliosis.org/resources/m...ates/xrays.php

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

You are exposed to a whole lot less radiation today than 30 years ago. My uncle worked for DuPont years ago in the division that worked on xray film. I remember him saying they had developed film that didn't need to be exposed for as long, so that you got less radiation. Now most xrays are digital and take very little exposure.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Reading the article that Linda posted above, I am sure that my daughter has had more than 22 xrays since she was first diagnosed - and, no where has ever shielded her breast tissue, but they have used the ovarian protectors. I have wondered also how harmful this may be in the future for her, but, what are you going to do? Next time she goes for xrays, I will ask about the breast protectors. They did tell me they have her face the wall to provide protection before.

Comment

Working...
        X