I finally scheduled my surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally scheduled my surgery

I have been reading this forum for over 2 years now. Thank you to all of you readers and people that post here -- I have gained a lot of information from here and I feel that I know what to expect from my pending surgery and what the recovery will be like (knowing also that everyone's recovery is different).

I am a 52 year old woman with anterior (L3 - S1)/posterior surgery (T8 - S1) scheduled in January with Dr. Robert Hart of Portland, OR. I'd really love to hear back from any readers that have seen Dr. Hart before, or that have had similar surgery at my age.

Thanks, Evie

Hello Evie-

I am sure you feel some sense of relief after making a decision to move forward- You will be ready for surgery since you are arming yourself with lots of good information- I think it's 50/50 mental and physical preparedness. There are quite a few of us in your age group. Good to hear from you, and looking forward to sharing your progress..... Lisa
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Hello Evie,

I am also 52 years old and had A/P surgery (T11-L5) almost 3 months ago. What helped me the most was getting in as good physical shape as I could before surgery, which for me was taking Pilates classes and doing a LOT of walking. Also, it's normal to be nervous, but I found that as the surgery date grew closer and closer, I grew more and more calm. That seems to happen to a lot of people and it's a good thing to remember when pre-surgical anxiety hits.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thank you Lisa and Chris for your encouragement and advice. It's reassuring to hear from those of you that had a similar fusion in the same age group. I'd still love to hear from anyone that has seen Dr. Hart before???

Comment

Hi Evie,

You might talk to your Dr's. assistant or your Dr. for names of former patients to talk to. Some must have given their approval to be contacted. Also, there might be a support group in your area where former patients might be found. I think it is really important to talk to future surgery patients my Dr. has. He makes sure they get my number if they want it. Best wishes.

Surgery 2/22/06 @ age 43. Lumbar 49* now 8* T10-L4

Comment

I have also finally scheduled my surgery

I have been reading this forum for some time and this is my first reply. I was planning on getting on tonight to ask if anyone knew of Dr. Robert Hart in Portland, OR. My surgery is scheduled for October 15, 2007 with Dr. Hart performing the surgery.
            I am a 59-year-old female and will be having an anterior/posterior T10-S1 fusion. This will be done in two settings.
            I actually scheduled the surgery for last August with another surgeon and then cancelled at the last minute. This is so major and I am so nervous. This forum is wonderful.
            Evie, what do you think about Dr. Hart? When is your surgery scheduled. Did you ever find anyone that has had surgery done by him. I'm anxious to hear from you.
            Susan
            Susan, Age 60, getting accustomed to my new back!
            A/P Surgery Oct. 15 and 22, 2007
            Spinal fusion T10 -S1 with Segmental instrumentation
            Thorocolumbar pre-op curve 63 degrees: post-op curve less than 10 degrees per Dr. at 6-month appt.
            Dr. Robert A. Hart @ Oregon Health & Science University, (OHSU) Spine Center, Portland, OR

Comment

Nervous

Evie, I'm so nervous getting on this board. I see you posted that your surgery is to be in January.

Dr. Hart has written down that I will be having ALIFs at 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-1, then posterior T10-S1 fusion with pelvic fixation with decompression from L2-3 to L4-5 in two settings.

I know I need to be preparing some things for my home for recovery time, possibly a hospital bed, etc., I don't know where to start. My insurance won't cover inpatient re-hab which Dr. Hart seems to prefer for a short time, but if I'm doing okay and have plenty of help he says I may be able to go home from the hospital. What is the norm for all who have had scoliosis surgery? Looking forward to hearing from any of you.
              Susan
              Thorocolumbar pre-op curve 63 degrees: post-op curve less than 10 degrees per Dr. at 6-month appt.
              Dr. Robert A. Hart @ Oregon Health & Science University, (OHSU) Spine Center, Portland, OR

Comment

Preparations at home

SusanGP -
                You do need to prepare for when you come home from the hospital. I'm sure you'll get many suggestions here, but in the meantime this forum is full of very practical suggestions based on solid experience from forum members. For starters, do a search for the "living alone - surgery soon" thread which has lots of suggestions. And you can browse this site and try other searches for information. The more you are prepared, the better you'll feel.
                FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Home Preparation

Thank you Trulyaries for your guidance to "living alone - surgery soon" thread for home preparations for post-op. I know that this forum will be a great help to me. I have been reading it for a long time, just now getting the courage to jump in and talk.
                  Seeing how all of you encourage and help each other is wonderful.
                  Susan

Comment

Hi Susan

My surgery date is also Oct. 15 2007. I am going for an MRI tomorrow on my cervical spine. My right arm falls asleep and my thumb is numb. So, my surgery could be moved back. We will see. I am 51 yrs old and also scheduled for two surgeries...15th and 18th. Fused from T2 to Sacrum. I wish you the best. We shall prevail !!! Positive thoughts only
                    A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
                    T2 to Sacrum
                    Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
                    Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
                    Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
                    Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
                    Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Comment

Hi Debbie,
                      At 51 you are still a youngster!! I'm sure you don't feel that way right now but I agree...positive thoughts only. I will turn 60 while I am in the hospital on October 23, unless I go home earlier than the Dr. expects right now.

Looks like we will be out of it at the same time on October 15. I will include you in my prayers that morning. You made me think... I guess I need to let my Dr. know that for the past week every morning when I wake up my left hand, from my middle finger out to my little finger and up to my elbow is numb, but hurts at the same time, very weird, new pain, feeling. I do have some cervical problems, without recent symptoms prior to this though. This is so close to the surgery date it does kind of worry me. I wish you the best too, Debbie. Keep in touch pre and post-op.
                      Susan

Comment

It might resolve when you spine is put in balance.
                        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Evie-

Dr. Hart did my fusion (T5-L1 anterior/posterior) on 5.9.07. Really like him & his team. You are in good hands. Just be sure to have his physician's asst. (Dr. Kara Barrett) deal w/ weaning you off your medications when it's time.

Background: Diagnosed w/ scoliosis (double curve) at 13 (now 36). Kept the curves in check (low to mid 30s) thru exercises (strong back & abs). Had a freak accident playing indoor soccer last October. Tore the muscles in my back, fractured the T10 & T11 vertebrae, also caused the T10 to become slightly offset of the T11. After 3 doctors and 3 different opinions, went w/ Dr. Hart. We were hoping everything would heal up on it's own and not require surgery (it was 50/50). Unfortunately 6 months post injury, the scoliosis progressed w/o the back muscles to hold it in place (thoracic curve went to 46 degrees) and the T10 vertebrae continued to slide off T11. Dr. Hart & his team couldn't figure out why I didn't have numbness or paralysis in my lower extremities since the T10 vertebrae was only 1/2 way on the T11 vertebrae. That there freaked them out enough to get me into surgery.

At about 5 months post surgery I am doing well and happy with the results. If you want to talk offline about Dr. Hart or anything let me know.

Jen
                          Fusion T5-L1 on 5.9.07
                          Age 36

Comment

Hello Jen,
                            Thank you for responding to let me know of your positive experience with your surgery with Dr. Hart. This positive feedback is very helpful. I just sent you a private message. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X