Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 wks L4-S1 Fusion postop Thigh Numbness/Weakness

Hi,
    It's been 3 weeks since I had L4-S1 fusion for sagittal plane deformity at Shriners Hospital in Portland:
    L4-L5 Spondylolisthesis
    blocked/hemivertebrae L4-L5 which caused congenital thoracic scoliosis to the left at around 14 years of age. yes it's rare to have scoliosis to the left usually due to other spinal cord injuries

Procedure performed:
    L4-S1 fusion with extension wedge osteotomy+verbrectomy L4-L5, S1 with titanium rods and 6 screws. Illac crest(hip) bone graft
    --------------------------
    I know it's kind of different than most of you guys/girls because Dr. Krajbich didn't have time to correct my congenital scoliosis and this type of case not alot of people have.

The only complaint is from day 1 postop my left thigh the left side muscles and right thigh the right side muscles are like numb/hypersensitive/weak. Especially my left thigh.. I could hardly put weight and stand up until 5 days postop. Now i can put weight no problem just that the feeling of numb/hypersensitive/weakness is still there. When i touch that area it hurts. and would like to know if there's others that have the same problem. Not sure if it's due to osteotomy or because I'm fused to the sacrum(S1).

If you guys have any questions please feel free to reply to this thread or contact me. I'm from Vancouver, BC and I see there's some Canadians in the forum.

Justin,
    You symptoms sound very much like my son's. He had his surgery in May afterwhich he had a similar feeling of numbness and hypersensitivity on his right upper thigh towards the outside. It's a bit better now but still very much there. The surgeon said it's from a nerve that basically gets crushed from lying on your stomach for the duration of the surgery, in my sons case about 8 hours. Apparently it can take years to go away completely. We were told it was nothing to worry about but you may want to mention it to your doctor when you go back.
    Hope you continue having a good recovery
    Ramona
    mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
    diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
    also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
    fused T4 to L1

Comment

Hi Justin -- yes, that's apparently a very common complaint. I had severe weakness and hypersensitivity in my right leg, which is gradually getting better...my left leg is somewhat sensitive but not as bad as the right. I'm told it's from the nerves being stretched and muscles being bruised. As long as the leg can bear weight and is improving, you should be fine.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I wished i knew about these postop problems before I did surgery.
        I'll have to do another surgery for my scoliosis. I can't imagine how the thighs will react again. kind of scared.

guys/girls are there any other postop problems besides:
        -infection
        -unable to raise arms to shower-common problem with thoracic fusion
        -severe pain
        -unable to run-legs and spine make it impossible to run
        -vision problems-can be due to oxycodone/tylenol3/other pain meds
        -unable to tie shoe laces/put on socks
        -constipation-bladder/bowel systems need to be awaken from surgery/pain meds
        -stiffness
        -itchiness-surgical bandaids/staples
        -breast tenderness/pain

Comment

Justin:
          This is all normal(except infection).
          Have you been touch with spinekids.com where you can relate to younger folk?
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
          X