Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I fell down a flight of stairs!

Hi All,

I was fused from T6- L1 on Jan 3, 2007. I'm feeling great, and yesterday I slid down a flight of stairs. Although it was incredibly scary, luckily I landed on my tailbone. I am actually still in quite a bit of discomfort, because I feel like I bruised my tailbone.

My back feels fine, however I emailed Lindy (at Dr. Boachie's office) and she said that patients that fall are advised to go to the ER and get xrays taken.

I didn't expect that response, and although I'm sure it's just protocol, now I'm feeling a bit concerned (I wasn't too concerned before).

Lynne.. I remember you fell last year. Has anyone had a similar situation? I'm thinking maybe the impact from hitting my tailbone so hard could affect my thoracic spine??

Any advice would be great!! I don't know if I should go get xrays, because I'd really rather not!

Lesly

Oh Lesly,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your fall.
    Yes, I tripped in NYC on 5th ave this past February, trying to keep up with my boys & husband ( at 7 mos post-op). I was a complete wreck & paranoid that I hurt something. I never got any x-rays. I seemed ok & was just bruised, mainly on my hand since I caught myself falling & landed on my hip & side. When I was checked in March & xrayed, all was fine.
    I think by 6-7 mos we feel so much better & feel we are ready to walk fast. In my case, I got tired & ended up losing my balance & fell. It made me slow way down after that & not over due it.
    I'm sure you are ok if all feels fine minus a few bruises/scratches. It just scares the hell out of you... Ly
    ps. I was wearing a good pair of sneakers when I fell...

Comment

Hi Lesly. I am so sorry to hear about your fall. You probably are fine, but I understand Boachie's office probably has to make that recommendation to get x-rays. I guess you could wait for a week or so and see how you feel. Knowing me and how paranoid I was after my surgery, I would have gotten x-rays if I fell. You must be very sore from the fall, and that is probably what your feeling. I totally understand about not wanting the x-rays...maybe give it some time to heal first...
      Heather
      Surgery date: April 20, 2004
      Anterior/posterior surgery
      Fused T-11 to L-5
      Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
      Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
      Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
      Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Hi Lesly,

My biggest fear was falling after my surgery and it didn't happen until a few months ago, which put my fall at 2 years post-op. And I hurt like hell for weeks.

If I were you I would do as the Doctor said and get an xray, if for nothing else but, peace of mind. Of course you will have pain from it, but why add the stress of worry!!!

Hope all is well!!!
        Shari

Comment

I also fell the same way. It was 4 years post-op. I figured I would wait and see how I felt--used ice packs. I was black and blue for quite awhile. A couple of months later was my annual check up with Dr. Boachie who found nothing wrong.

They might want the x-rays because you are less than a year post-op. I really would not trust a radiologist with no experience seeing this type of hardware. It simply blows them away. One misdiagnosed me with skeletal demineralization when there was so much glare from the hardware that the bones looked thinner. My bone density is FINE!!!
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thanks, Ladies!

Your replies made me feel a lot better! I saw my PT a few days ago, and other than a bruised tailbone he said I shouldn't worry...
            I decided not to get xrays, and I'm happy with that decision, because going to the ER was not something that I was really wanting to do! I'm not in any pain, still feeling great, getting ready to go back to work in two weeks!
            I'll give an update when I'm back at work..
            Oh, and hopefully will see you all soon at our lunch?

Lesly

Comment

Hello Lesly-

Your guardian angel was working overtime! You were very lucky. I bet that tailbone is sore for awhile. Good luck returning to work !!! Lisa
              Lisa age 47
              T curve 69 degrees
              L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
              fused to from T-3 to sacrum
              anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
              pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

I'm 3 years post-op and I haven't fallen yet. It's STILL a huge fear of mine...gettnig n a car accident or falling down stairs or something like that.
                Quite a fear actually...

Comment

Working...
                X