Need words of encouragement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need words of encouragement

Hi, I am looking to put together a journal with some words of encouragement for my wife who will have surgery with Dr. Boachie at HSS late September. She has been in alot of pain for years and is trying very hard to be brave about the surgery. Fusion will be anterior/posterior to the Sacrum. She is 60 yrs old with a 52 degree curve that keeps progressing and looking for a new life, but is understandably freaked about the surgery. Any words of encouragement or advice will be very appreciated. thanks

Hi,
    I wish your wife all the best for her upcoming surgery and recovery. It is a daunting challenge to face but well worth it in the end to have a better, healthier life.
    All I can say is everytime my family members see me now, after this surgery ( including my 81 yr old mother who cleaned her house top to bottom to keep busy while I was in surgery for 10 plus hours..) they say "thank God you found a surgeon who could help you" I have to keep reminding myself, it's one of those miracles of life I have been given.....

95 degree curve-thoracolumba(reduced to 60) & kyphosis was 85
    Dr. Boachie/Dr KIm at HSS.. August 2006
    fused T-11 to L5 ant/post at 47yrs old
    Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 09-08-2007, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Dear jnc-

In my opinion, your wife has already won half the battle ! Not only does she have a very respected surgeon, she has you in her corner to support and love her through it! I had the same surgery 14 weeks ago, and although I am a little bit younger than she is, I have been pleased with my progress. Tell her to keep in mind that if the surgery slows/stops the progression of the curve, it is a success! All of the other good things such as a straighter back, rib hump reduction, less pain, etc., is an added bonus. It is a rough surgery and recovery, but as you will find out, as the others share their experiences, that we get through it with our friends, family and each others' help. Tell her to research everything and read the good and the bad so she has realistic expectations before she goes into it, so she can cope better should she encounter a bump in the road. God bless you for being involved and helping her through this. Best wishes to both of you. Lisa
      Lisa age 47
      T curve 69 degrees
      L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
      fused to from T-3 to sacrum
      anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
      pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Hi JNC!!!,

I used capital letters because you deserve it!!! First of all, I want to welcome you and I have to agree with Lynne and Lisa with their adivce and acknowledgement's in regard to your desire to help your wife in any way you can. You must be a very loving and caring Man!!!

It will be a difficult surgery for her and those that love and care about her. She already has an advantage in recovery, by having someone like you by her side!!!

I realise you don't have much time to put together this journal, but if you have specific questions, you will find answers here.

If you have the time to read some of the past posts, that may help you, and have you considered having her read this forum???

Just know that knowledge is powerful, but can cause added fear as well. Remember that we all have different procedures and recoveries.

I wish you and your wife all the best, and I have a feeling you'll get a great response here.

All my respect,
        Shari

Comment

Thanks, I've showed her this forum and we've looked at some of the threads together. What I'd really like is to put together some words of encouragement from others who have "been there" that she can refer back to during the times when she is down. You all are a great bunch.
          JNC

Comment

Hi JNC,
            I had surgery with Dr. Boachie last December. I am 46 and so thrilled with the results of my surgery. My curves were about as bad as they come- 100 deg plus severe kyphosis- and my back looks normal now! I am so grateful to him-your wife is in great hands! He is probably the best surgeon in the world. Please keep us posted on her recovery!
            Cathie

Comment

for jnc

I sent you a private message with my contact info.

I will encourage her throughout her pre-and post-op period.
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

JNC-

Your wife will be receiving excellent care from Dr. Boachie. I chose him because of all the praise I found on this forum, as well as my gut reaction when I met him in April. I am 62 years old (one of the older ones having surgery) ; my surgery is 12 weeks from tomorrow - so far I have remained fairly calm because I know this surgery is my only alternative unless I want to spend the rest of my life staring at the sidewalk (increasing kyphosis) and walking with a limp.

Your wife is so fortunate to have you at her side and providing emotional support.

This forum has been an incredible resource for expressing questions, concerns, anxieties, etc. so if you have the time, read through some of the threads, and don't hesitate to post more questions.

Best of luck to your wife; I'll be sending good thoughts. Send me a PM if you wish.
                As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Dr. Boachie was my surgeon also, and you are assured of the best possible result with him. I'm 52 years old, and no one could have been more scared of this surgery than I was, but I came through it just fine -- and now I have a straight back and a fantastic new figure. I look so much better in my clothes it's amazing.

It is not an easy surgery, but it's manageable. If I could do it, anyone can !!!
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

JNC, I laughed when I read what Chris wrote....

It is not an easy surgery, but it's manageable. If I could do it, anyone can !!![/QUOTE]

She isn't kidding! I really wondered at times if she would go through it.

I think the best words of encouragement I can offer is for her to think of the post op pain as a different type of pain. One that gets better, not worse, like the pain we experience prior to surgery. It really is the beginning of a new life. Each day will be a challenge filled with frustration, doubt, re learning and some depression. But, also hope. Most of all a positive attitude will help. It is tough to focus on the positive at first but, the positives increase as time passes. The first one being how straight we are the first time we get out of bed! Best wishes to you both.

Comment

Working...
                    X