Totally bizarre sensations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally bizarre sensations

For the last few days, when I'm lying down in bed propped up a little to read, if I move a certain way (don't ask me which way; i don't know), I get this amazingly weird rushing sensation from my hip to my shoulder...sort of like an electrical current running alongside my anterior incision. It takes my breath away and and makes me gasp out loud...I wouldn't call it painful, really, but it's incredibly shocking. Makes me wonder if a screw is too close to a nerve? ...but if it were a nerve surely it would hurt like hell? ...it's only when I'm laying down but not laying down flat.

Never a dull moment.......!!!!!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

It probably is just your body healing and nerves waking up. A few months after surgery (one of my many weird sensation was when laying down if I moved my right arm I would get a back spasm, it only lasted about a week, but I was very worried. At 7 months post op I still get odd feelings and sensations, from reading through forum, it is normal.

Sue

Comment

Hi Chris,

I really can't count the number of strange and scary sensations I got after my surgery. You're only about 3 months post-op, not that I think you should be concerned, because I always was, but the healing process from this surgery seems to be so damn complicated and varied.

I can remember thinking with every new pain or feeling that there must be something wrong, did I do something to hurt my healing process!!! I think we all understand your concerns. But for me, most of them were resolved over time.

Don't get too frustrated and disappointed so soon!!! Although I know how easy that is to do!!! You are not alone!!!

Shari

Comment

Chris:

I had that too and it was at least 6 months after surgery when I had gone back to work. I attributed it to nerve healing and "waking -up".

How's the leg situation??
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Karen,

My leg is getting stronger, thanks. I am still using the walker but the therapist thinks I can graduate to the cane in a month or so. I'm working on learning to walk normally because I've been on the walker so long I don't walk "evenly," if that makes sense. I think I'll be driving way before a year -- probably by November at this rate. So I'm feeling much better about all that!

The weird rushing sensation bothered me in bed last night for the first time. It starts in my lower back and runs up the side. I wonder if I've overdone things in physical therapy? The therapist insists that all the work I'm doing on my leg should NOT be aggravating my back.

Thanks Suzyjay and Shari for your responses also. I know that these things are to be expected, but it still takes you by surprise.

It feels like a mouse scampering up my side !!!
          Last edited by Singer; 09-08-2007, 09:11 AM.
          Chris

Comment

Chris, i was driving to work one morning and kept feeling like there was ice water on the outer side of my upper thigh! I kept checking if there was something there... probably swerving all over the road thinking my Coke had turned over and was soaking thru my pants leg....

Turns out there is a strange nerve that when i touch a certain spot in my lower back runs to the outer thigh and causes that cold sensation... Weird, huh? It's still there... even after 2 yrs... but now i know what it is and don't swerve around when i feel it...lol...

Comment

Hello Chris- Hope this gets better, I know it is scary when something new pops up- Maybe it is scar tissue or an adhesion pulling away- ... are you doing PT yet? Lisa
              Lisa age 47
              T curve 69 degrees
              L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
              fused to from T-3 to sacrum
              anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
              pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

After my surgery two years ago, I began having really terrible muscle contractions and pain. I called them my traveling pains. Since I was corrected at age 50 after having scoli my whole life, my body was always trying to correct-your eyes want the horizon on the horizon and will twist everything else to make it so. Mine started in my head and neck with headaches that put my in bed for 3 days(this went on for four months), then went to my chest and finally into my lower back. Unfortunately this last one kept up and I had to have a second surgery to help the pressure on my pelvic organs. I am hopeful that I may have worked through my spine straightening as much as it is going to straighten. I am not sure I have many nerves left to act up. Hang in there and talk to your doctor and specially your physical therapist. Nerve pain and abnormal nerve firing comes in many flavors. Best LSH

Comment

Thanks all for the additional replies. I called my surgeon's office this morning and was told that muscle/nerve spasms at this point in my recovery (almost 3 months) are very common, especially in a big correction like mine. So I'll be adding a muscle relaxer to my drug cocktail ....

Lisa -- yes, I've been in PT for three weeks now, and probably the increased activity is contributing to the spasms.
                  Last edited by Singer; 09-10-2007, 09:28 AM.
                  Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

I too had the feelings you described and I also gasped out loud when it happened. I scared the heck out of my Husband a couple of times doing it (You know it hits so hard and sudden!) and he finally "yelled could you stop doing that!?" No, not really........ It DOES lessen and finally go away. But you still have a bit of it to go. It was nerves waking up and re-connecting according to my Dr. Never a dull moment with this surgery recovery, huh?
                    Best wishes.

Comment

Is it the same kinda feeling as when you hit your funny bone????

When I was less than 6months post-op if someone poked me in my spine I'd get that feeling.

Funny bone feeling IS a nerve being hit...shouldn't b a problem if it only last for a second or two

Comment

Working...
                      X